chapter 1

1265 AD

Avoch Castle

 Sir Andrew Moray was finally home. After more than a fortnight of constant fighting and tracking of the English rebels he was tired and    in desperate need of a dip in the cold water of the river..  How much longer could this go on? Andrew was so exhausted and in need of a semi-night in bed. Of course he would never skirt his duty to king and country, he was just tired of all the constant fighting. 

 Just seeing his home made his spirits rise, Avoch Castle was a magnificent Castle Large andnearly impenetrable. It sat atop a hill over looking river Beauly. As soon as he was through the outer baily a stable boy rushed toward him to take his horse. Andrew climbed down and handed over the reins and continued on into the castle.

 "My Lord, welcome home", said Markus his cousin and best friend. "Markus, it is good to see you. How have things been while I was away?" asked Andrew.

 "Mostly well, a few minor issues with rebel forces scattered from the north, nothing we couldn't handle." Markus said with a grin. "We did capture a boy who swears he was not with them, but it seemed mighty strange to me so I ordered him to be held in the dungeon until you returned and we figured this all out."

"Great, I will deal with the boy after I have a bath and super."  "Thank you Markus I will talk to you at super." With out another work Andrew turned and headed upstairs to his room. As he passed by a Maid rushed forward "My Lord shall I get your bath ready for you?" "yes please Betsy, thank you." Betsy smiled and ranto the kitchen to order water taken up to Lord Andrews room. 

****************************************************************************************************

Billi could not believe her luck, first she gets caught by the rebels and then when they are busy fighting she manages to escape only to be caught again. 

"Well at least they aren't English" she thought to herself. She had spend weeks alone hiding in the woods running for her life. She still had not figured out who killed her family and why. She was not home when the raid began she was out picking flowers for her mother, she loved fresh heather and Billi loved making hermother happy. They lived in a small keep with a small village they were not animportant family so why would someone come and slaughter every living thing there? 

Billi could still smell the burnt flesh of her family and friends, she swore to find and kill whoever was to blame and she would not stop until they were all dead. She might only be 17 but she knew how to swing a sword as well as any man and use a bow better than most, she could throw a dagger straight in the heart of a deer from 30 feet away. Not that she was bragging but her father wanted to make sure that she would be able to protect herself should anything happen. 

 Billi was so lost in her thoughts she never heard the door open to her cell. It was not until she saw booted feet in front of her that she realized she was no longer alone.

"How are you boy?" asked Andrew. Billi just looked at him she couldn't find her voice he was the most handsome man she ever saw. His hair was down past his shoulders and the most amazing color, light a sunrise, it was red with gold all threw it, and his eye's were the color of the sea. so clear and blue. His face oh my his face was like a God's face perfect in every way. But it was not his face that Billi couldn't take her eyes off it was his mouth... Never before had she wanted to kiss a man yet here she was unable to take her eyes off those perfect lips. "Boy, are you listening to a word I say?" Billi jumped " y yes s sir I a am s sorry." she was so nervous she couldn't think.  "I asked you where are you from, I expect and answer." Crap, what could she say?  " Munlochy". Billi said "what are you doing around here?" asked Andrew. Should she tell him about her home? About her family? She doesn't even know him and yet there is something about him that makes her feel like she can trust him. It could just be that he is the most handsome man she has ever seen, but inside she feels it is more than that, that he is truly a good man. It's not like she never heard story'sabout Lord Andrew Moray. He was a legend. She has heard about him since she was a small girl. Maybe he is the reason she ran this way in the first place, maybe inside she knew he would help her find the person who killed her family.  " I asked you a question boy what's the matter with you? Can't you see I am not going to hurt you I just want some answers." said Andrew as he looked down at Billi. " I am Billi Sir and I came here for your help."  said Billi. "What kind of help do you need? And what where you doing with With the English rebels?" asked Andrew. " I know it looked like I was with them sir but honestly I was not, I have been in hiding for weeks running for my life, I was captured a few nights ago by the rebels and held against my will. I managed to escape when they were fighting your men and was caught again. Only this time it was your men not the rebels." Andrew could tell by the fear in Billi's eye's that he was not lying. " Why are you running for your life boy and who is after you?" he asked. I honestly do not know Sir, my home was raided and my family was killed. I was out in the forest hunting and when I came home every one was dead. My home and village were burned to the ground, not a single person was left alive." Billi could feel the tears start to well well up in the back of her eyes and fought to keep them from falling. The last thing she needed was to start crying now. They all think she is a boy and for the time being she wants to keep it that way. She does not know anyone here and is not sure how well she can trust them with the truth. " I have not heard about your village being attacked but I will send men out to get information. You can have a room upstairs until we figure  this all out." said Andrew  

     For a moment he thought the boy was going to start crying, and when Billi managed to control his emotions Andrew knew he would do whatever it took to help this kid. To have gone through what he had at such a young age and still remain strong was a trait that Andrew admired. It takes a lot of strength to witness your family dead and village burned and still have the will power to fight.. 

Billi was lead out of the dungeon and to a room on the second floor, a bath and clean clothes were ordered brought up as well as food.  After everyone left Billi finally broke down and cried, she cried for her family, her mother who she loved so much, and her father who was the light of her life. She cried for herself. she would no longer be Billi the girl now she was Billi the boy.... How was she ever going to keep up this facade of being a boy? It was easy hiding in the woods where no one saw her but now she was with people and what if someone survived and Andrews men find them and they tell that the family did not have a son but had a daughter? Would Sir Andrew hate her for lying to him? would he still help her? would he then try to take advantage of her? That last thought Billi had before falling asleep was of her mother smiling and saying" Don't be long honey super will be ready soon..."

 Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at writing and I would love to hear what you think. I really love historical romance and figured I would try my hand at it. I have read some amazing books on wattpad and thought what the heck so I hope you like this first part I will be writing as often as possible and posting when I get it finished. 

 Lots of Love 

  Andrea <3