Chapter 21. Takao's Origins

"I will not let you escape with my prize," Shredder says. "And this time, I'll make sure you die."

     "You won't get the chance," the man mumbles. He turns to the turtles and April. "Get Emiko out of here. I'll catch up with you."

     Raph frowns. "Who's that?"

     "Don't mind him," Mikey whispers. "I think he's a little crazy."

     "Just go!" The man yells.

     "Can one of you guys take her?" April asks. "She's kind of heavy."

     "Woah, April! You don't say that about a lady!" Mikey exclaims.

     Raph shakes his head, taking Carrie from the redhead's arms. He looks at April in confusion. "What are you talking about? This is easy."

     "Let's go," Leo whispers. His voice, still noticeably raspy. He hoists himself off the ground and begins running towards the back door which Donnie has successfully hacked through.

     The rest of the team quickly follow. They all look back at the mysterious man who slowly makes his way towards the exit as well. His job is significantly hard as he has to keep all of the mutants, Karai, and Shredder back.

     "Who is that guy?!" Donnie shouts as they run up the levels of the lair. They fight foot bots off along the way.

     "I don't know!" Mikey wails. "But apparently he knows Master Splinter!"

     The team found success in escaping the lair, but an army of Foot Bots had followed them. If they jumped down into the sewers now the bots would follow, and they could risk having their lair discovered.

     "We're not losing them, dudes!" Mikey shouts, jumping across the rooftops.

     As they jump across the next rooftop, Leo turns through the air throwing shurikens at the bots. A few of the Foot Bots are hit and they fall to the ground. Through the air, Leo sees the mystery man swiftly catch up to the bots, slicing through them with his katanas.

     When Leo hits the next rooftop, he rolls onto his back. To his surprise, the man jumped right next to him and offered a hand. Leo was surely impressed by the man's speed.

     "We've lost them for now. Let's hurry, turtle."

     Leo takes the man's hand, who helps him up, and begins racing to catch up with the rest of the group. Donnie leads the team down one of the sides of a building. They're quick to descend the fire escape stairs and ladders. In a matter of seconds, the team disappears into the sewers.

     The walk back to the turtles' lair is quiet and awkward. Each of the brothers peek glances at the man's expressions. They notice how often he watches Carrie. More importantly, is the hint of guilt and sadness he expresses each time he looks at her.

     Everyone was confused and needed an explanation. They couldn't trust this man even if he had saved them. He had been talking nonsense. His skills were exceptional and if he did turn on them, they wouldn't be able to take him. They just hoped he did know Master Splinter and then the confusion could be cleared.

     When they entered their lair, they all immediately went to the lab. There Carrie was set on a table and Donnie began running her vitals. The man followed close behind, observing intently.

     Donnie began to run many tests on Carrie. He opened her eyes, shining light in them, and checked her reflexes and any other response she may have to environmental stimuli. The man sighed, taking in all of Carrie's responses. He knew what they all could mean, but he dare not speak a word.