Ancestors High on Mushrooms

The boys were...something. Everyone was so different, yet they fit together like puzzle pieces. That's what Sky concluded within the first week of knowing them. They were all like diamonds-all unique on their own, yet together, they formed a pretty harmonious group. Each one of them had something to give. All of them filled in the gaps or spaces the others left. Hongjoong was great at leading, problem-solving, and giving solutions; Seonghwa, meanwhile, was always there to give you a listening ear, a shoulder to lean on when things get too tough; Wooyoung and San were like two bouncy balls, full of energy that they spread among others too like a virus; Yunho fell somewhere between them and Jongho-he was adaptable to a shockingly impossible degree-he knew when to have fun and when to turn serious. A good option to lead the team in Hongjoong and Seonghwa's absence. Jongho, meanwhile, was normally quiet and stoic, doing whatever was asked of him silently. He did have his moments, though. Just like now.

Sky watched Jonghog do a weird, wiggly dance routine to liven up the team's mood. Safe to say he succeeded. Most of the guys were on the ground, tearing up from laughter. Even Mingi was laughing his silent laugh with his eyes creased shut and mouth wide open. He looked like the inside of a half-cut bell pepper to her. Wooyoung's high-pitched laugh echoed across the big room as he watched Jongho reach the grand finale of his carefully crafted, extensive dance routine.

'Enough, let's get back to work now!' Hongjoong finally managed to speak between fits of laughter. San's sister had asked them to help her out with a few designs for her new dress. They were supposed to be helping embroider small floral patterns on a piece of fabric right now.

'Stop already now. I'm tired!' San groaned.

'True. We could do the rest of the work tomorrow morning; there's not much left to do.' Seonghwa said, already putting his instruments aside in a neat pile. 'Are you guys up for some stargazing?'

'I'll go bring marshmallows!' San jumped up from his seat, already running off to the kitchen. Sky heard some rustling and then a loud clang before the earth bender emerged, covered in flour and some sticky mixture that she couldn't exactly tell.

'You had one job.' Yunho facepalmed, already picking up a rag and rushing to the kitchen for damage control. Seonghwa escorted a pouting San to the bath, slapping the back of his head when he tried to lick off the gooey thing all over his body.

Once San was all cleaned up and the kitchen received Seonghwa's stamp of approval, the team embarked on its journey to the meadows; the place happened to be their spot of sorts.

'So, Sky,' Seonghwa said, putting an arm across her shoulders. 'Tell us a little more about yourself.' He looked at the shorter one of the two with interest, flustering her a little bit because of the close proximity.

'What do you want to know?' She wasn't quite sure where to start. There wasn't much interesting about her life anyway.

'Hmm.' Wooyoung thought for a bit while scratching his head. 'What about your hobbies? What do you do for fun?'

'Oh,' Sky racked her brain, trying to come up with an answer. What did she do for fun? She liked reading. But if it weren't a requirement from her father, she'd rather jump off a cliff than pick up a book. She played an instrument or a few. But it was her father who enjoyed her musical sessions more than herself. She did learn how to cook, too. But it was only because her father saw a woman who couldn't cook as unfit for marriage. In short, there was not a second in her twenty-four-year-long life in the cemented palace of Wonderland that Sky could describe as fun.

'Snatching the souls of little children.' Mingi answered for her. 'That's her fun activity.'

'Yes, like how your idea of a fun activity is sneaking into the women's bath.'