Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I felt someone watching me, my ears pricked up like a dogs. “General Raven, what a pleasant surprise!” I turned to see Governor Evangelina standing behind me. She was dressed in a slick black dress that had one strap on her right shoulder and ruffles going from the base of the strap to her left hip and around the back to end up front again on her left ankle.

I was wearing a blue sparkly dress that showed off my thighs and flowed down to my ankles in the back. It was strapless and had several flowy layers that made me want to spin around in circles to look like a flower from overhead. my hair was up in a bun, like a ballerina, not that i would normally ever wear it like that, normally it’s in a raggy braid that i would wear for weeks at a time.

“Well, if it isn’t Miss A team leader” she said with a smug look, “it’s nice to see you after these long months.”

“I would say the same for you, if it were true.” I said with an equally smug smile. Her smile vanished into a glare.

"Yes, living in a hole must be getting to you, I would never live in the dirty ground." She got closer so that she could whisper, "they just don't trust you, that could change sweety."

"I'll admit, it could be different," I watched her hand start to move to my shoulder in a comforting way, "except a year ago I was kidnapped and forced to watch my family die, and if I remember correctly one blond old hag was always standing in the corner watching me."

“Well, I better get going, if we’re going to leave here without bloodshed” she said looking down at her watch.

“Yes, we wouldn’t want the most important general to poison someone…accidentally” I looked up at her smiling. She walked away without another word.

I turned to see the A team sitting around a table applauding my performance. I rolled my eyes, my smile gone; I sat down between Wolf and Blade. “She makes me want to eat tempered steel nails with ghost pepper sauce” I growled. They all chuckled, besides for Fate, she smiled, but made sure not to let any sound escape her throat. I tightened the sparkly gloves around my wrist, poison shot through my palm and it burst back into my hands, burning for a second but then cycling back into the system.

Food would be served at ten and then Queen Clementine Sutton would have a speech about whatever it was that she desperately needed to tell all of us. We were at a big palace that belonged to the Queen, getting prepared for the attack. Believe it or not, it was a big threat when all of the teams were together like this.

I was on high alert, ready to whip off my gloves and shoot searing pain through someone’s nerves while poison runs through their bloodstream. I was thinking of spells that could hurt someone, if not kill. But surprisingly ten o’ clock came around quietly.

We were served steak, shrimp, lobster, sushi, and basically anything else we wanted. I had water, the whole A team did. If we ate anything else, our magic would be slow because our metabolism would be working on burning off food when we wanted to be burning off dead energy.

And besides, our stomachs were teeny tiny, if we ate just a small steak we would be slow and groggy, water filled us up quickly and burned off easily. But I still felt like everyone was staring at us, thinking that we were just showing off.

I waited for someone to start a conversation, but no one did. It stayed quiet until the trumpets sounded signifying the queen’s entrance.

“Good evening ladies,” Queen Clementine began, “today, we will be announcing the beginning of a VERY important mission.” She paused for dramatic effect, “this mission will be of life, or death, and only one special soldier may go on said mission, if that soldier ends up failing, a new soldier will be sent. But be wary, this is a very difficult mission. It is very top secret, the soldier will be told verbally, but in code on a piece of paper. If the soldier fails to decode it, a new soldier will be chosen and that soldier will be killed, just in case.” She looked up just as a big glass bowl rolled in.