The Journey

Chapter 3

As the sun peaked over the mountain, she stood several feet away from the team that was getting ready. There was no way she was getting into that humvee with all those men. It wasn't going to happen but she wanted to go home. She could put her pride to the side adn do it. Lost in thought she didnt see the lieutenant walk to her.

"Are you ok ma'am?" said the lieutenant touching her shoulder

Startled by his vioce andhis touched, she jumped a little. Realizing it was only the Lieutenant she looked at him and nodded her head yes.

"Ok ma'am, come meet the rest of the team." He said walking behind

"Guys this is Miss Mcoure. Miss Mcoure this is the team. The big black guy is Matt, tank for short. Next is Dustin, everyone calls him dirt because he is a player. The little man is Greg but dont let his size fool you, niciname is chip. Last is James, nickname is kid. He's a newbe to my team and my name is Ethan, L.t. for short." he said smiling that gentle smile again, "Now that everybody has met her lets move out."

"Matt and Greg will ride in back with Miss Mcoure. Dustin you'll drive and James your on the gun. Everybody ok with that, Good."

Everybody grabbed their gear and loaded it up. She stood there watching them. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Miss Mcoure, is something wrong?" said a deep voice

She turned towards the sound and saw the big guy named Matt walk towards her. He was taller than her and looked like he could pick up a truck, but his expression was kind.
She knew she was going to warm up to him first. She tried to fake a smile and started to walk with Matt towards the humvee. Watching everybody, she finally climbed into the back seat with matt on one side and Greg on the other.
She thought it was going to be very uncomfortable but was surprised to find plenty of space. As the lieutenant climbed into the front seat he turned around and looked at her.

"I need you to understand right now before we leave this base, we can't protect you unless you're willing to put everything behind you and take orders without question. Hesitation will get you and my men killed, so don't. Understood?"

She shook her head yes.

"Good, we shouldn't run into anybody but you never know." He turning back around, "Alright dirt let's get out of here."

~Several hours later

She been sitting in the same position for the last couple of hours and she needed to stretch her legs. Lifting both her hands above her head, she stretched.

"Hey L.t. can we make a pit stop for a minute? I really need to take a piss." said matt

"Fine, dirt pull over here. Make it quick matt. Everybody else out of the humvee." said L.t.

Everybody climbed out and stretched their legs and back. There were no trees but loads of sand. Rocks and bushes scattered everywhere with large cactuses. Matt started off right of the humvee with L.t. right behind.

"So tell me something Matt, did you really have to go or did you lie?" said L.t. with his back towards Matt

"Kinda. I didn't really lie or tell the truth." Matt said with a smile

"Why?"

"Because we needed to stretch our legs. We've been sitting in the vehicle for four hours." Matt said zipping up his pants and turning towards Ethan, "Besides you looked tired of sitting up front with Dustin."

"What's the differents if I'm sitting up front or in back?" Ethan said starting to walk back

"I know you. You hate sitting up front because you think of it as a easy target. Is that a good enough reason why?" Matt said with a smile, while walking with Ethan