Chapter 1

(A/n: This story is only 10 chapters long. I learned the hard way that I can't write more than one story at once, so this is on hiatus. But I decided to post what I have cuz I thought you guys would like it. Keep in mind that after chapter 10, there won't be anymore for a while.)

Chapter One

I was walking home from school. It was the first time I noticed him following me in his truck.

I was listening to "Ashley" by Escape The Fate. I love that song because it makes me feel like he's singing to me. My name is Ashley.

As I walked, I thought I heard someone call my name from behind. I turned, and saw a few other people walking, but no one who would know me.

I shrugged, and when I was about to turn back to my ipod, I saw him. He was across the street, pretty far back. He wasn't parked; he was slowly inching his way forward ... following me.

I couldn't let him know I saw him. I made it look like I was just looking around, like I didn't notice that creepy guy staring at me intensely.

I listened to the song, and tried to focus on that.

"You’re the strength I need to fight, you’re the reason I still try. I’m the moth and you’re the light. Use these wings so I can fly (I can fly)."

I peeked over my shoulder, and nearly tripped over my own feet. He was closer - A LOT closer. And miraculously, the people behind me were no longer there.

I gulped.

No witnesses.

A million awful things raced through my mind. Him pulling up to me in his truck, grabbing me, yanking me by my hair into his red, rusty 4 wheeler. Him pulling up to me in his truck, stopping, getting out, and shoving me into the bushes, where he would do the unthinkable.

Oh God, why is this happening to me?

Get a grip Ashley, I told myself. Maybe he's not even following you. Maybe he's following the ... I sighed ... invisible person walking beside you.

Shit, shit, shit. If only I didn't give up on that self defense class after my dad broke into my mom's house and mine with a gun.

Walk faster Ashley, walk faster.

I looked over my shoulder, and he had also begun to speed up.

Don't walk faster, don't walk faster.

ACT NATURAL.

I took a deep breath. What are you going to do? You're still miles away from your house!

Oh, God no.

I could hear the noisy truck behind me, and it was literally inches behind me.

ACT FRIGGIN NATURAL DAMMIT!

He was now, right beside me, slowly following along with my walking pace.

I didn't look, but he had rolled his window down, I could tell. I continued to listen to my music, pretending I hadn't noticed him.

He was speaking to me.

I looked at him, pulling one of my ear buds out of my ear.

Be cool. "I'm sorry, were you speaking to me?"

"You shouldn't be walking out here alone. There are some pretty sick people out there."

Yeah, like you?

"Need a ride?"

"Um ... no that’s okay. I'm almost home anyways."

"Oh yeah, where's your house?"

I couldn't tell him where it was, because he was freaking stalking me for God's sake! You don't want a stalker knowing where you live!

Panicking slightly, I pointed at a random house a few doors down. "That one." Now, PLEASE drive away.

"Oh, okay."

He didn't drive away. "I'll just stay here with you to make sure you get home safe." Then he winked at me.

What the hell kind of a sick pervert are you?!

The guy looked like he was maybe in his late 30's, he had sandy blonde hair, and a prominent jaw line. He was tanned, and had lovely green eyes.

He doesn't look like a pedophile ...

Even if he were, why would he be attracted to me? I'm not much to look at.

I have long, wavy, dark brown hair, that I never do anything with, plain brown eyes, a basic figure, and I'm pretty short, around 5'2."

There's nothing pedophile attracting about me.

"You don't have to do that," I told him

"No, no, I insist." And then, he did something that made my breath get caught up in my throat. He pulled out a Police Man's badge. "Its my job. Gotta' keep the community safe."

I chuckled, nervously. "Uh – yeah. Ha ha ha ..."

I came up to the house that I said was mine. What do I do now? "Um ... thanks for watching out for me ..."

"No problem, young lady."

And then I turned onto the driveway of "my house."

I looked back. Ugh, he's still there.

I had reached the front door, and I turned back to wave. He smiled. He wants to see me go inside!

Okay, just get in, and get out.

I reached for the doorknob, and astonishingly, it was unlocked. I wrenched the door open, and ran inside. I slammed the door closed, and leaned up against it, breathing heavily.

I turned to peak out the window, and saw him drive away. I sighed a sigh of relief. And then I heard a voice behind me.

"Who the hell are you?"

Shit on a stick.