Part 21

ONE DAY LATER

Amelia's POV

It was my first day on the track, and I was shitting myself for multiple reasons. First of all, because of how excited I was. I was about to start the most dream-worthy career ever, and even though it meant leaving Indi, I was going to go on a whole new set of adventures. I had phoned Charles to let him know I got the position, and he was incredibly happy. He informed me that he was excited to be stuck with me now at work, and even though he wanted to see me, he hoped I would never have to treat him. He had asked me if I would've liked him to take me into the paddock today, as my booth was stationed in between some of the team garages, but I said it would be better if I walked in alone, especially on my first day. And I was doing just that.

I was wearing my paramedic uniform, which was just some jeans of my choice, paired with a white collared shirt that had 'MEDIC' printed on the back, as well as a few sponsors and the F1 logo. I had a temporary badge, that security let me scan and enter with, since I was so new my badge was still in the making. Charles had messaged me, telling me to come and visit him at some point during the day, since it was just quali today, so he shouldn't be too busy. I just sent back a thumbs up, unsure of whether or not I would have time.

I walked through the paddock in awe, admiring everything that was happening. I even spot a few people I recognized, giving them a quick wave but not stopping. I had been informed about the whereabouts of my station, but I had also been told that it was quite small, since it was just temporary, and might be tricky to find. The only instruction I had been given was that it was near the McLaren garage. The piece of information almost made me puke when I read the message, but I comforted myself in knowing that Lando was a busy guy and that I doubted he would be in the garage at the exact moment I was walking past, or even then if he'd see me at all.

I should stop fucking jinxing myself.

As I finally locate the McLaren garage, I see the 'MEDIC' sign plastered just around the corner of it. I smile to myself, grasping the straps of my backpack a little hard before taking a breath and walking towards it. I don't really enter the garage, but I skim the outer edges of it. As I do so, I can see a lot of McLaren workers bent over looking at screens, all chatting among themselves. I let my eyes wander and explore, soaking up all the technology, before they lock with someone.

Lando.

I immediately look away, whispering profanities as I do, and speeding up my walk. The few seconds we did lock eyes for however were long enough for him to recognize me, and for the complete and utter shock to fill his expression. He looked like he had seen a ghost. I kept walking, now almost running towards that sign, thankful when I saw a card scanner, meaning that it wasn't just readily open.

"Amelia!" I don't turn around as I faintly hear Lando calling my name. "Amelia!" It's louder now, which means he is coming towards me. I shut my eyes, now breaking out into a full-blown run, praying that he can't see me as I struggle to get the lanyard around my neck tapped against the medic gate. Thankfully it beeps, and the gate unlocks. I push through it, running down the mini hallway and around the corner, making sure I am out of sight before stopping. "Amelia! Dammit." I hear as Lando smacks the gate that is stopping him from following me. "Fuck, that was her right? Fuck me I might be going insane." I hear him say as he walks away. I let out a breath, sinking to the ground. I know I'll have to face him eventually but now was not that time.

"Who are you." I look up to see an old Asian lady standing in front of me. She was very short and had a deep voice that had a slight accent. I shot up immediately, now becoming taller than her.

"I'm Amelia! I'm the new paramedic." The lady clicks her teeth, before waving me off.

"Ah ok ok. I am Brenda." She turns and begins walking away down the hall, before stopping and turning to face me. "Are you coming?" I nod my head, quickly running so that I am next to her before we continue to walk.