24

Armando Dominguez

Armando Dominguez

Pretty much after our night in that motel, we managed to return home in time for breakfast. I dropped Brian off at his home and then went to mine. Javi didn’t seem to mind that I was out for the night, as he patted my back and congratulated me. Meanwhile, I later was told by my boyfriend that he was given an earful for coming in late. 

Though, they weren’t angry for long. According to Brian, they figured that he was just a teenager who needed to live before he goes off to college. But for now, they just need him to go home before midnight. 

It had been a while since I'd last seen my dad. I made an appointment and asked Brian if he wanted to meet him. My dad’s been interested in meeting Brian. In his phone calls, he talks about wanting to meet the guy that’s taking his son away.

Brian, holding my hand, leaned into my ear. “I’m scared.” He whispered.

“Don’t be. You’ll be fine.” I assured him. Still, I could feel him shaking. “We’re just gonna take any metal things off. Then we’ll be fine.” 

I went ahead first and passed through the metal detector. Next was Brian. He needed a bit of help, as he removed his belt and his pants almost fell on the floor. Though, it was a funny sight. 

Here I was, back in the visitor’s room where I came a while back. Where I had seen my dad for the first time in many years. A loud buzzer rang out and the guard opened the door. My dad walked through and quickly smiled at me. 

He walked over to our table. I stood up and gave my dad a huge hug. Even though we had only met face-to-face once before, it feels like I had only just seen him yesterday.

“My Mando!” My dad said. He pulled away and turned to Brian, who had stood up and was behind me. “Is this the Brian I’ve been hearing?” He asked.

“Yes!” I replied. “Dad, meet Brian Hazelwood. Brian, this is my dad.” I said. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Brian said, extending his hand. I noticed a slight shiver in his hands. 

“Come here!” My dad lunged forward and trapped him in a bear hug. “He’s so small!” 

A loud whistle was blown. One of the guards warned my dad of too much contact. So my dad let go and made us sit down. 

“Armando tells me that you’re going to USC. You must be smart.” My dad said. 

“Oh, I wouldn’t say I’m smart.” Brian said. 

“You kidding? You’re crazy smart, Brian!” I said. “Don’t listen to him, dad. He’s being modest. But he really is smart!”

“I’ll tell you one thing, though. You’ve got some skills.” My dad told Brian. “I mean, you got into USC and managed to tame this wild bull here. Do you love each other?” My dad asked the both of us. We stopped talking and turned to him. My dad had a smirk on his face.