Teaser

"Now pups, settle down."

Stevva kept tussling with her brother, Strekka. At six weeks old, the pups were more concerned with play than anything else. As such, they were much too occupied with one another to pay attention to Grandma. The old wolf was sitting in the little clearing in front of the den in the lush green forest. Grandma rolled her filmed-over eyes. "Pups, please."

Stevva gave Strekka a last nip on the tip of his ear before finally turning her attention to the elderly she-wolf. Her brother tried to get back at her by pulling her tail, but she ignored him and simply sat down in front of Grandma.

"What is it?" she asked.

"A story," Grandma replied gruffly.

"Again? That's all you seem to do. Tell stories," Strekka grumbled, settling down beside his sister as well.

Grandma chuckled. "My days of leading the pack are long gone, but it is elders like us who are responsible for keeping the wisdom, stories, and legends of the packs. So yes, we do tell a lot of those." She winked. Strekka stuck out his tongue with a disgruntled expression.

"What's the story going to be this time?" Stevva cocked her head, her slightly oversized ears flopping along with the motion.

"It's probably going to be about the battle with Swift Wind Pack again," grunted Strekka.

"No, not quite that," Grandma said as she shifted into a more comfortable lying position. "It's the story of the Land of the Ancestors."