Chapter 4 - Trouble in Town

Stevva didn't like to admit it, but after a few days of spending time with Berrun, she did feel somewhat grateful for his presence. While she still valued her privacy at times, she also took the time to get to know him. For example, his favorite food was wild boar, and he had a large family back home.

Berrun liked to hear himself talk and got most of their conversations started, but at the same time Stevva didn't mind. He also seemed perceptive of when she'd want moments of quiet or alone time, something she much appreciated.

What she liked the most about Berrun, aside from him being an ally while hunting, was that he seemed to believe in her quest.

On the evening of the third day, the duo were enjoying a recently caught deer. It had been an old roe buck with an injured leg, but the prey was good nonetheless.

"You know," Berrun said, "I think it's good that you have a goal in mind. I mean, most of us dispersals do have a goal, but it's all the same. Find your territory. Have a mate and later form your own pack if it interests you. That's it. I suppose it's nice, but it's so...same-y. You at least have a unique dream to work towards."

Stevva nodded appreciatively. "At least you see it that way. My parents and brother all thought I was crazy and would be better off settling somewhere closer to my old pack's territory. My grandmother always believed in me, though. She would tell the most amazing stories about the Land of the Ancestors."

"She sounds like a great wolf," Berrun said.

Stevva couldn't repress a sigh. "She was. She passed away not too long ago. I'm making this quest for myself, but also in her memory."

Berrun's ears flattened a little. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"It's okay," Stevva said, shaking some dust out of her thick neck fur. "I just wish she could've somehow seen me reaching the Flatlands."

"Maybe she's watching you from the afterlife," Berrun said.

Stevva took another bite of deer, chewed and swallowed it. "My parents didn't really believe in those sorts of things. Neither did my brother. My grandmother did to an extent, but I never quite was interested in stories about the afterlife like I was in the Flatlands. The Flatlands are at least clearly real, even if they're far away. Wolves watching you from the afterlife sounds a bit difficult to understand for me. I mean, can you imagine if the soul of every single animal we ever killed would be watching us? That sounds ridiculous!"

Berrun let out a noncommittal grunt. "These beliefs are important to me and my family."

"Oh." Stupid. Stevva bit her tongue for a moment. "Sorry. I didn't mean to insult you."

Berrun sat up and yawned, looking up at the starry night sky. "It's okay. I guess it's a little hard to understand."

Stevva licked her chops. "Yeah. I guess that's why. Sorry, again."

Berrun seemed to hesitate before changing the subject. "So, um. Tomorrow. You said I could come with you for a few days, but it's been three now. I presume we'll be going our own ways soon enough again." His voice was uncharacteristically unreadable, and Stevva wasn't quite sure if he was glad or sad about the situation.

"Right. Apart," she said, more flatly than intended.

"There's a large upright settlement nearby," Berrun then said. "I mean, not huge, but larger than the tiny ones. I suppose that if I were to stay with you for a couple more days I could lead you through its outskirts."

"Through?" Stevva gasped, a little flabbergasted.

"I mean, you're all about reaching your goal as fast as possible." Berrun let his tongue loll and his usual smirk returned. "I know most wolves avoid them, but there are those that dare to cross them. I have done it before; it'd be way faster than going around."