13 - a failure

age: 14
mom: scarlett
dad: colin

-

Y/N'S POV
I hated weekends where i would be sitting at my desk, on my laptop waiting for the email with my test scores, it was a day full of stress and anxiety.

Normally, i do well in my subjects and i'd like to call myself smart, im always above target and get most of the stuff that is taught, but something felt odd with this test that i done.

It was a maths test, and for some reason i just didn't understand it, the night before i was up the whole night studying so maybe it was the lack of sleep, but i really hope that i do well in this.

"Y/n, can you come down for lunch please?" Dad asked knocking on my door, i nodded my head looking at him before back at the computer and refreshing the page, dad went back downstairs.

After another few minutes, there was still nothing and i was such an impatient person, so this was something i needed right now, so when my mom comes into my room i groan.

"You've been up here all day, come eat lunch with my dear" Mom says and rubs my shoulder, i shake my head and refresh the page again, wishing it would appear on my screen.

"Mom, i need this" I say and sigh running my finger through my hair.

"Yes, but you always need out of your room, who knows it may be here when you're back no come on" Mom says and twists her finger around the ponytail in my hair.

Sighing, i stand up, refreshing the page one more time before following my mom, she takes my hand and walks with me down the stairs until we got to the kitchen where Colin made us sandwiches, mom isn't the best cook, but she does cook nice meatballs.

"Were you waiting for that test score?" Dad asked me handing me a plate, i nodded my head silently and took a few sandwiches and sat down.

It made me wonder that maybe my test score was taking so long because it was so bad, maybe they sent the best ones out first and the worst ones out last, that could be why it's taking so long.

"Take your mind off it for a little bit please" Mom whispers in my ear when she walks past me and into the living room, i quickly get up following her, not knowing we were sitting in there.

"But what if the score is bad" I say sitting down in the middle of both my parents.

"Then that's okay, you'll get to do another test some time and improve" Dad tells me and sticks the Tv on making me sigh.

"But i don't want another time, it has to be good now" I say and lean back against the sofa staring at the Tv blankly, ignoring the fact my mom's eyes and burning into the side of my head.

"Enough of that, no matter what the score is, you did your best" Mom says and wraps her arm around my shoulder, i shake my head as mom rests her head on my head.

"I probably didn't even try my best" I sigh again and take a bite out my sandwich, mom placed her hand on my leg and gives it an encouraging rub and smiles at me.

Once i've finished my lunch, i put my plate away before racing back upstairs, but i linger outside my bedroom, i'm scared that when i go in my results will be there in front of me.

When i open the door, a little envelope is at the bottom of my screen, i gasp and run over to it clicking immediately and scrolling down to my name, i close my eyes and take a deep breath before looking at the percent next to my name.

74%

74%. There is no way, i refresh the page and check my name again, and it's true, i got 74, i sit down on my chair, running my hands over my face, not allowing the tears in my eyes to fall.

In all the tests i have ever done, i've never gotten below a 85, i place my hand over my mouth and close my laptop, burying my head into my arms and sobbing, not caring how loud i am.

With the loudness of my crying, it must've alerted my mom because i hear her running up the stairs and into my room, i feel her place her hand on my back and spin my chair around so i face.

"What's wrong baby, is it low?" Mom asks but i keep looking at the floor, i nod my head and lean forward so it was now tucked away in my mom's neck, letting me cry some more.

"What was the percent baby?" Mom asks running her hand up and down my back, but i don't answer her and just continue to cry, still hugging me, mom reaches behind me and opens up my laptop, going to the results.

"74! Sweetheart, that's amazing!" Mom says but i just sob even more, it's awful in my eyes which means it's just terrible over all.

"It's not" I sob harshly bringing my hand up to my eyes and rubbing them, i push my head as hard as i can into my mom's neck and feel her take me over to my bed, sitting down and sitting me on her lap.

"I'm such a failure, i'm so sorry" I sob, speaking my mind, dad walked in just at that time and i can tell he was confused as i could see his face slightly.

"74% isn't failing, nor are you a failure baby, Colin tell her she's not a failure" Mama says rubbing my back, i cry more because they just don't understand, this is my lowest score and it's terrible.

"Y/n, you're not a failure, if i got 74% that would be amazing, your mom would agree, you're anything but a failure and we are so proud of you" Dad says sitting beside mom and placing his hand on my back.

"I failed" I sob, i didn't fail, but i felt as though i failed because in my opinion, the score is low for me.

"You did not fail" Mom says sternly but in a nice way, i let out a grunt into her neck and hide my face so both her and dad can't see me anymore.

"Right come on, get an outfit sorted, we're going out, a fun fair opened up and even though it's past 9 at night, we are going to celebrate your score" Dad says standing up and patting his jeans, i look up at him confused.

"Don't just stare at me, come on!" Dad smiles before leaving my room, i look up at mom who looks equally as confused as i do, we both let out a laugh and mom places me on the floor, taking my hand and i follow her out the room and downstairs to where dad was standing, ready to go, to the fair?

___

my dream would be to get 74%