Late Night Visitor

A hot shower does wonders for the soul

A hot shower does wonders for the soul. But more is needed for this one.

Laying on my bed, I was examining the ceiling. Anything to distract my loud thoughts. Nothing would stop the niggling voice in my head. My hearing picked up on whispering voices under the hum of the wind. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I didn't feel like investigating.

Tap.

I remember my Rite of Passage, 'History does repeat itself.'

Tap.

'The tree needs cutting back again; stupid branches.'

Tap. Tap.

"Lexi!"

I jumped out of my skin and moved quickly to the window.

Tap!

The branch was tapping on my window, but it wasn't from the wind. Little blue eyes looked at me. Shocked, I opened the window wide.

"Leo?"

"Who else? May I come in?"

I nodded and moved away from the window, allowing passage. I was shocked to see him in this form and the fact I could understand him. I thought I could only speak to Sooty, my familiar, this way. I never attempted to speak to other cats...

Leo jumped from the branch to the windowsill, dragging something with him. I grabbed it quickly. It was clothing...?

"What's this for?"

"I don't think you'd appreciate nakedness."

I gave out a soft laugh, of course. Where else are your clothes supposed to go? I inspected him.

"We meet again, kitty cat," I said quietly in a knowing voice.

"You think your mum is the nosey one? Cats can go anywhere."

After a short silence, I asked, "How are you?"

"Me? I'm fine. You're clearly not."

"No need to be rude... I meant magic-wise."

"Oh. Fine, just really... magic-y. I'm not sure about being able to turn back."

I snorted, "Well, sorry, I already have one black cat. He's not a fan of others."

His tail banged the floor in protest, "Damn it! But I'm a great lap cat!"

I couldn't help but laugh.

I turned back to the window and closed it.

Thump.

A blush rose to my face. He transformed back; I could sense it. I didn't dare turn around as I heard the rustle of clothes.