Red

One Week Ago...

As the front door swung open, I was attacked.

"Lexi!" Quinn chirped happily as she continued squeezing me into a hug.

I reciprocated, "Hi!" I said back enthusiastically.

Quinn was only a few months younger than me. Her tousled pixie cut was faded into more of a lilac blonde. Her wise, light caramel eyes always seemed full of cunning and mischief. An olive tone to her skin perfectly matched her eyes.

I looked over her fading purple hair into her empty house.

"Where is Seri?" I ask, eyebrows knotting together.

"Ah, upstairs prepping the bathroom," she threw a thumb over her shoulder, "Come on in! I am so excited!"

I grabbed the abandoned plastic bag filled with bleach and hair dye and followed her up the stairs.

A girl's night is just what we needed on this Wednesday night.

I turned half-way up, realising my mistake, "Oops! The door."

It had been left open slightly. Before I could take a step, a pale-yellow wisp flew past, hitting the door shut. I laughed and turned back to Quinn.

"Not a problem," she said, flicking her wrist as the yellow light disappeared from her hand, "Come on," she chirped happily, leading me to the bathroom.

___________

The second hug I was prepared for, I placed the bag on the vanity and opened my arms slightly for Seraphina.

"Ooh! What colour have you chosen, Lexi?" Seri asked, peering over my shoulder into the brown paper bag.

"My favourite colour!" I laughed.

"Yes! I've been waiting for my red moment!" Quinn, giddy with excitement, took the items out of the bag.

The bathroom floor is covered with old duvet covers, splattered with paint and previous dye. A chair in the centre looked like it had seen better days, but it was perfect for dying Quinn's hair.

She sat with her feet bouncing as Seri mixed the bleach.

I took a moment to appreciate these two girls... Well, witches.

Quinn...

However bossy she could be, she was outgoing and brought banter. She is the main reason I have some confidence; her energy, passion, and pep talks boost our small group, and she was quick to anger, especially regarding her friends.

Like her father, her magic is drawn from energy (everything dead or alive) and has excellent potential to lead a larger coven. Her pale-yellow magic reminded me of Tinkerbell's pixie dust.

An hour later, Seri and I were painting the bleached hair bright red.

"So..." Quinn started, trailing off as she painted her nails to match the new colour hair, "About you and Lathen."

I resisted the urge to eye roll. Instead, my eye twitched lightly, "What about 'us'?"

Seri's lips puckered slightly, listening to Quinn not speaking a word and avoiding my eyes.

"You never told us why you broke up," Quinn hinted.

"Of course, I have. It was weird. You know he's like a brother to me." I said.