Would you read or write in a different genre?

And we are back again with a fun new discussion question! This month's discussion is all about genre changes, something common in movies, music, and books. Let's hear from some of our members.

---

Question posted on September 9, 2023:

For writers, have you written in different genres? Why or why not, and would you recommend it? 

For readers, would you continue to read the work of your favorite authors if their new work is a different genre?

*note, all answers are slightly modified for grammar and structure*

Winning answer by PathSojourner:

I haven't actually written in many genres yet, but I want to try. There are so many different directions you can take, and experimenting with some of them will mean that you're not limited to one area, and can put on many different genre hats or mix them up together if you need to. Writing in different genres (or subgenres) increases your range of experiences, which in turn both tests and nourishes your growing creativity. 

As others have said, subgenres are a major part of stories, and so are the many, many tropes specific to each genre. Add genre-bending stories and crossovers and there are a lot of different ways to interpret what 'writing in a different genre' actually means. Does genre only apply to the setting (historical)? Plot (mystery)? Tone of voice (humor)? Characters (romance)? Does writing urban low fantasy count as a different genre than a high, epic soft fantasy? If writing within one genre can already provide so many different possibilities for story, voice, style, characters, setting, plot, etc., writing in different genres can really test your boundaries and help you grow and become more flexible as a writer. 

As an eclectic reader (anything from psychology nonfiction to light humor to epic hard fantasy), I'd solidly say it entirely depends on the new work in question. My favorite authors have become my favorites because they exemplify good writing in their genre and have written stories I remember and love. Whether I read their new book or not, I'm guessing it's going to be good and their branching out will probably cause me to branch out too. However, if the story is paid or too far out of my comfort zone, I'll probably pass up unless someone I know gives me a specific recommendation. But the genre switching itself will not be an issue. In fact, some of my favorite books are favorites because they creatively cross genres and bend tropes to read a story I will remember.

1st runner-up answer (tied) by Emmiiiiiiiiiiiii7:

I personally write in different genres, and the reason is simple. I enjoy it. I think writers should write whatever they enjoy writing and they shouldn't just stay tied down to one genre.

1st runner-up answer (tied) by ToWolfKin:

Absolutely! I write in different genres because I love reading and crafting in those genres. Writing is partly a craft of love and if you love multiple genres, then by all means go write in them! Mash them together! Mix them up! Have fun! 

Speaking for the reader side of me, a solid maybe. It depends on the genre of the new book. I trust that that author will make a good story and do it well, but there are some genres that I simply prefer not to read or do not like. Yes, I am more likely to try out a new book by a favourite author that's not in my favourite genre, but it's not a definite yes.

1st runner-up answer (tied) by binaforreal:

First and foremost, one story can never be in just one single genre, there's always a cross-over or a sub-genre. For example, one can incorporate a romance subplot in almost every genre out there (that's my personal experience and assumption, so please correct me if I'm wrong).Besides, these crossovers allow the addition of new plot elements and subversion of tropes in a fresh way, keeping things interesting. 

Talking about writing stories belonging to different main genres, what could even go wrong? Writing is all about learning and having fun, even if it means stepping out of our comfort zones.Not to mention, it gives a writer some experience if (or when) they try out lesser-written crossovers.

I, personally, read and write in different genres and am always up for trying something new! (Other than horror or his-fic, that is.)

As a reader, it depends on my personal preferences. My favourite action/ thriller author writing a dark fantasy or sci-fi? Oh heck yes! But that same person writing a horror or his-fic? No. Nope. I CAN SAY NO TO THAT IN 50 DIFFERENT LANGUAGES!!! 

1st runner-up answer (tied) by 404RealityNotFound:

I'm all for writing in different genres. By experimenting with different themes, you can add more depth to your story, and create more interesting plot points and twists. Making the story feel more authentic rather than keeping things one-dimensional. I've dabbled in different genres and it always keeps readers guessing making them lean further into the story, plus it helps me craft plot arcs, build up characters, and even add subplots. 

But balance is needed. You can't lean too far into one genre, or it will affect the whole story. For instance, if I'm writing a mystery novel but I add in a lot of romantic scenes. My readers will see more of the romance, and less of the mystery, which will completely change the plot direction, and at most times not make sense with the events in the story. Ex: Flirting while they're in a gunfight. So, you can write in different genres, but it's important to have one core genre, to set the mood and direction of the story. Then, by experimenting and incorporating different elements of other genres, you can perfect your writing and build your penmanship. 

Furthermore, certain elements of stories can only be found in their respective genres, like suspense. Suspense is heavily used in horror and mystery but it can also help make for more interesting romance or adventure stories, keeping the audience waiting with bated breath for what could happen next, does he save the village? Does she like him back? Suspense is also a part of humor, too. But if you can't write suspense, your story is never going to reach its full potential. So you need to write in different genres, if only for the good of the writing.

The reader in me would probably depend on personal preferences. So if it was a major genre change, say Sci-Fi to Historical Romance, it would probably take away what interest I had for the author, since different genres are different styles, some I prefer, some not, so it depends on what the genre would be, it's not a definite yes. 

1st runner-up answer (tied) by DrizzleTheWolf:

As a writer, I personally haven't written in many genres yet, but it'd definitely be something I'm up for exploring! If I have an idea for a story, I'm going to write it, no matter the genre. In fact, I have several goals to branch out and write novels in different genres in the coming years. Authors should not be limited to what they write, and as creative individuals, we have to branch out occasionally, to express the stories we love, even if we have our comfort genres/tropes. I'd definitely recommend it, as you might find you enjoy writing another genre even more—and that the learning experience is more than worth it.

As a reader, the answer is pretty much the same. I'm not going to predispose an author to a specific genre. For me, when I love someone's writing, it's not only for the world they weave but the way they show it—I love their writing no matter the genre. So unless it's one I absolutely despise, I will by all means try it out. Even if it means stepping a little out of my comfort zone. 

---

And that's all! Thank you to everyone who participated in this round's discussion questions, and congratulations to the winners! Feel free to leave any additional thoughts in the comments.

See you next round, debaters!