Phase 21 - North America in the Latter Half of the 19th Century

In 1862, the United States of America split into the Union (USA) and the Confederate States of America (CSA) in the South, and since then, it has remained in a peculiar state of conflict. However, peace and stability were far from reach, with primarily four nations (powers) pulling each other's legs.

In a sense, one could say that North America had finally become comparable to the Eurasian continent.

. . .

The Yamato Republic, which possessed the largest territory in North America, was often avoided by the other two countries and one autonomous region due to its predominantly non-white racial composition, centered around Japanese people. The reason it was neither invaded nor disregarded was because it possessed the largest land and the greatest national power. Naturally, the fact that it had the most powerful military was also crucial. Resource-rich Yamato was constantly targeted by both the North and the South.

The Dominion of Canada, a British territory, had the most stable relationship with Yamato, as they were connected by a transcontinental railroad and the Great Lakes – St. Lawrence Corridor. This was a typical example where common interests bound them together. Yamato also had deep relations with Britain through Canada.

The Confederate States of America, often referred to as the South, had good relations with Britain and France in terms of trade, primarily due to exports like cotton. However, they had conflicts or tensions with the Union and the Yamato Republic for different reasons. As a result, the CSA was politically isolated in North America.

The Dominion of Canada, being under British protection, could not afford to maintain a large standing army like the other three countries and could not expand its autonomy further. Externally, it was still perceived as a British colony. For the Canadians, maintaining a good relationship with Yamato was becoming a top national security policy day by day.

Now, the Union, often referred to simply as the US, faced a more precarious situation than the South.

Behind Canada was Britain, and in terms of historical context, the South was considered the virtual enemy number one and two. They engaged in minimal diplomacy and trade with the Yamato Republic in the west, primarily because of resource shortages within the United States. Yamato remained a virtual enemy of the US. Moreover, even though the US claimed to have liberated slaves domestically, racial discrimination remained prevalent, causing them to harbor envy and resentment toward the prosperous Yamato. It is safe to say that emotionally, the US hated Yamato the most.

The Mexican Republic likely felt the most relief among the nations on the North American continent. Its entire northern border was with the Yamato Republic, and it had a strong alliance with Yamato as a non-white nation. Furthermore, Yamato prioritized friendly relations with Mexico and stability within Mexico itself to focus its efforts on the eastern border, avoiding problems at the southern border. They even signed mutual immigration treaties.

In the situation described above, the common problem and hope for all nations was the influx of immigrants from both the east and the west.

. . .

The North American continent has a history that dates back to the 16th century when immigrants from the Old World began to establish nations. However, immigrants were pouring in from both the east and the west, resulting in the successive establishment of two republican nations: the United States and the Yamato Republic.

European settlers brought their own politics to the New World, leading to a situation where the continent was divided into three.

Nevertheless, regardless of the national intentions, immigrants left behind in the Old World continued to flock to the New World.