Phase 02 - Battle of Sekigahara (1)

Even the final tactical maneuver leading to the decisive battlefield did not go as Ieyasu Tokugawa had planned.

The Eastern Army had intended to deploy in a way that would divide the Western Army, but to their surprise, the movements (strategic maneuvers) of their own troops, especially those led by certain Eastern commanders, turned out to be unexpectedly sluggish. The Western Army, led by Mitsunari Ishida, who should have started moving later, managed to occupy the key positions at Sekigahara.

In other words, the Western Army positioned all of its main units in a formation that not only semi-encircled the Eastern Army but also blocked them on the frontlines of Kyoto.

However, because both sides were already in motion, it was difficult for the Eastern Army to escape from Sekigahara, and since the Western Army had already occupied strategically fortified positions, it was also difficult for the Eastern Army to confront them head-on and await reinforcements. Of course, retreating was out of the question. There was a very high risk of their own troops' morale collapsing and their forces scattering.

Furthermore, in the rear at Mount Nangū, which was now behind them, some of the Western Army had traitors among them, and there were also martial-minded generals like Hidekane Kobayakawa and Ekei Ankokuji, so the possibility of them all defecting to the Eastern Army without a fight was low. Moreover, with the Western Army in the superior position, it was even more challenging. As a strategic move, a significant portion of their forces had to be diverted towards Mount Nangū, so it was inevitable that a considerable army had to be placed in the rear as part of their prior assumptions.

Although somewhat forgotten in the midst of the peace established by Hideyoshi Toyotomi, it was still a rule for military commanders in the Sengoku period to seize opportunities and act. Supporting the weaker side was supposed to be the work of either extreme loyalty or individuals seeking fame in war chronicles. And for the Eastern Amy, there was no other strategy to consider except for defeating key figures like Mitsunari in the Western Army.

The Eastern Army, who had planned to lure the Western Army into a field battle, ended up in dire straits due to their own strategies and partly by chance.

. . .

As the night gave way to dawn and the mist cleared, a shocking reality awaited the Eastern Army.

In the field encampment of Mount Matsuo and its surrounding areas, numerous banners that had not been seen on the Nōbi Plain before were now fluttering.

At the summit of Mount Matsuo, banners of figures like Motoyasu Mōri were flying, and at its base, banners of figures like Hirokado Tsukushi and Muneshige Tachibana were scattered about. This army consisted of the 15.000-strong Western Army that had been besieging Ōtsu Castle. Following the surrender of the castle on September 14, they swiftly executed tactical maneuvers, entering the western region of Sekigahara on this very night, and upon receiving news there, hastily deployed on Mount Matsuo. Since the region belonged to the Ishida faction, the Western Army's tactical maneuvers in this area could be executed very quickly.

Furthermore, the movements of the Western Army's main units from Ōgaki coincided with their own movements, making it impossible for the Eastern Army to detect this.

In addition, approximately 15.000-strong Western Army, who had secured the surrender of Tanabe Castle on September 13, were also making their way towards Sekigahara from the Wakasa direction, and though it was still somewhat vague, it was becoming apparent that they were already halfway along their route.

. . .

The battle at Sekigahara commenced at around 07:00 on September 16.