Chapter 1

TWO YEARS LATER

Olivia was sitting at her desk, typing up notes from a meeting, when she heard footsteps. She looked up and saw a heavily pregnant woman coming toward her. She smiled and asked politely, "May I help you?"

"I need to see Zach," the woman said.

"Do you have an appointment?" Olivia inquired.

Her blue eyes flashing, the woman snapped, "No, I don't have an appointment."

"May I have your name," Olivia said, pushing back her chair.

"Becca Hopkins."

Olivia stood and gestured to the chairs across the room. "Please sit down and rest your legs and back. I'll let Mr. Abernathy know you're here."

"Thank you."

Olivia walked over and knocked on Zach's door. She waited until he gave her permission before she entered his office.

"What is it, Olivia?" Zach asked, glancing at her.

"There's a Becca Hopkins here to see you, sir," she replied.

Zach dropped the pen he was using and sat back, his chair letting out a squeak. "Did she say what she wanted?"

"Just that she needed to see you, sir." Olivia cleared her throat. "What do you want me to do?"

"How long until my next appointment?" he wanted to know.

Olivia gazed at her watch. "You have twenty minutes."

"Send her in," Zach sighed heavily.

"Yes, sir." Olivia hurried back to the reception area. "You may go in, Miss. Hopkins."

Becca slowly got to her feet and waddled into the office. She closed the door, and Olivia grimaced. She couldn't hear what was being said with the door closed. Sighing, she went back to her desk and her work.

Several minutes later, Becca began to shriek. Alarmed, Olivia jumped up and rushed into the office. She found Zach still seated behind his desk. Becca stood over him, her face flushed with anger.

"Miss. Hopkins, please," Olivia said, laying a hand on the woman's arm. "You must not get upset. It's not good for you and the baby."

"Sit down, Becca," Zach ordered her.

"Don't tell me what to do," she sneered.

"If you can't calm down then you'll have to leave," Zach told her calmly. "I won't tolerate you screaming at me."

"I'm not going anywhere." She cradled her huge belly. "We need to talk about the baby."

Olivia gazed at Becca's belly and then at Zach. Why would she need to talk to Zach about the baby? Was he the father? Olivia hoped not.

"Olivia, please leave us," Zach said.

"I'm sorry for intruding," Olivia said. "I heard Miss. Hopkins scream, and I was concerned."

Zach nodded. "It's all right."

"I'll be at my desk, if you need anything." Olivia left the office, closing the door behind her.

"Go home, Olivia," Zach said, from the doorway of his office. "It's after five-thirty. Felix is likely missing you."