Whirlwind

Present

Everything moved so fast during a World Cup, especially one hosted by their country, where cricket was not a sport but a religion.

The days of October passed in a whirlwind, and November was upon them. They had won every match so far, largely thanks to the top order's batting (Shubman being highest run scorer) and the spin bowling (Jadeja and Kuldeep sharing highest wickets till then).

Rohit bhai was asking more and more impressive questions after each match, about what he thought of their chances of actually lifting the trophy. Usually so composed and savage in press conferences, to Ishan they seemed to be draining Rohit bhai somehow.

The day they won their final league stage match, and qualified for the semi finals as table toppers, Ishan convinced Jaddu bhai to move while he sat beside Rohit bhai on their flight to Mumbai.

"Is anything at all bothering you, Rohit bhai?"

Rohit turned to him curiously. "Me?"

"You seem kind of tired," said Ishan. "All these interviews must be tiring you....but aren't you used to publicity by now?"

Rohit smiled wryly. "Oh, that I am. It's just I sort of hate questions about whether we'll win the WC. I hate praises about our performances in the group stage. Group stage has never been a problem for us."

"Nothing has been a problem to you and Virat bhai and Jaddu bhai," said Ishan loyally. "You are treasures of Indian cricket."

Rohit bhai's smile went from wry to indulgent. "Well, if you think so...." And he let Ishan snuggle up against him for the entire two and half hours of the flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the familiar Bombay airport, there was a big group waiting to receive them. Most of the former cricketers who had settled in that city had turned up, including Sachin sir's family.

"Oh," Virat groaned. "Oh, god, keep Shubman away, Ishan...."

Ishan acted quickly and caught Shubman's arm and pulled him away before he could spot who exactly had come. But Shubman's eyes were roving hopefully amongst the crowd. They widened when Sachin sir came to envelop Rohit bhai and Virat bhai in an embrace.

"Come on," insisted Ishan, pulling him harder.

"Why should I listen to you?" asked Shubman. "You ditched me for Rohit bhai the whole flight!"

"Don't pretend you didn't have an awesome time with Jaddu bhai and Surya bhai. I think the whole plane could hear your laughter."

"But I want you," said Shubman promptly.

The bottom of Ishan's stomach seemed to fall away, as it very often did when he was around his best friend these days. It felt like falling, falling, falling....

"There's Sara!" cried Shubman. "She said she'd be coming, come let's go and tell her hi, Ish."

Ishan tightened his fingers around Shubman's arm, maybe a bit more than neccesary.

"Ouch!" said Shubman. "What did I do to you?"

"You're an idiot," said Ishan, annoyed. "Virat bhai has said you are not to talk to Sara before the World Cup is over."

Shubman turned to look at him in shock. "What? No way he has actually said that."

"Close enough," said Ishan. "The way you act around her is disgraceful, and India does not need a disgraceful opener before the semi finals."

Shubman blinked, unable to hide the hurt from his expression. Ishan instantly felt guilty.

"I-I just wanted to say hi," said Shubman.

"I'm sorry," said Ishan, and released Shubman's arm finally. "You can go and tell her hi....I'll wait."

Shubman's smile was back.

"I'll come right back to you," he said in a swooning tone. "Always."