Chapter 20

"Rescue? From what? From... from paradise? I'm not going back. Ever. I mean, look around. We got everything we need. Right here." Kie smiles at JJ and I nod quietly. I miss my family, though. I need them too. Kie looks at him. "Just like we talked about." He nods. "Exactly." I chuckle. I've heard all about their surfing trip. He looks at Kie. "How's yours looking? You ready to provide for the family?" "Yeah." He looks at me. "And you, princess?" I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah." He helps me up and he smiles. "Let's go kill something." Kie frowns. "You don't have to say it like that." 

"Yeah. That's exactly what we're going to do." I grab Kie's hand. "It's okay, Kie. It's for a good cause." She rolls her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm just saying he doesn't have to make it sound so barbaric." I shrug. "It's JJ. Everything he says sounds barbaric." JJ frowns but ignores me. "It's the circle of life, Kie. Unless you want to eat coconuts forever." "After the past month, I think I'm good on coconuts." He looks at us as we get into the water. "You guys ready?" "Yeah." "All right. Today's the day. All right, remember, watch your shadows. They see that, they're gone." We both nod. JJ nods. "All right, here we go." 

He moves forward before looking at us. "Just like we practiced, all right?" Suddenly he sees something. "Hey. Hey, Kie. Kie, Kie, Kie. Kie, it's a skate. It's a skate right there. You see him?" She nods. JJ looks at her. "He's seen me and Em! He's coming over by you. He's coming towards you." "Yeah, it's me." "This is it. This is the time." "I can't. I really can't." I look at her. "Yes, you can. Of course you can." She shakes her head and JJ sighs moving forward. He tries to stab it but he misses. He swears looking around. Suddenly Kie surges forward stabbing through something really hard. She lifts her spear up and the skate is on it. My eyes widen. "You did it!" I move forward hugging her. She leans into the hug before pulling back and kissing me. 

JJ clears his throat. "Okay, lovebirds. It's just dinner." I roll my eyes putting my arm around him. "Yeah, whatever, J." We go back to where everyone is and sit around playing truth or dare. Sarah looks at John B. "John B, your turn. Truth or dare?" He stands up. "All right. Truth." "Truth?" Sarah throws him the Truth or Dare hat. He puts it on and looks at her. "If you could do it all again... what would you do different?" JJ speaks up. "Uh, get the gold out before Ward did." Pope nods. "Maybe hide the cross a little better." Kie sighs. "Not yell "murderer" at Ward, maybe?" "Uh, steal a couple bottles of rum before we jumped off the boat?" 

JJ turns John B. "Yeah, why didn't you do that, actually?" "Maybe 'cause I was in a fight to the death?" "I would look both ways before crossing the street." I look at Cleo with a laugh. "Yeah, my bad. My bad." They look at me and I shrug. "I wouldn't go to that stupid party with Sage." They nod. Cleo looks at John B. "Your turn, chief." He looks at Kie. "Kie, truth or dare?" He plops the hat on her head. She rolls her eyes. "Truth." "All right. Um, if you could go home to your parent's house on Figure Eight this instant...would you do it?" 

We all turn to her as we watch her think. She shakes her head. "No chance." Sarah nods. "Seconded." We all cheer. Kie looks at us. "The shower is tempting though." John B nods. "Ooh, I could use a fat shower right now." Kie throws the hat at J. "JJ, truth or dare?" "I mean, do you even have to ask?" Dare. Of course it is. Kie looks over his head. "Big jump. Nobody's done it yet. Dare." We all stand as JJ runs off. Kie puts her arm around my waist. JJ appears on the edge of the Big Jump. We all cheer for him. 

Cleo looks at us. "He's not gonna do it." She shakes her head. "He's not gonna do it!" He hears her. "Oh, I won't, huh?" Pope looks at him. "He's gonna do it. It's highly dangerous, uh, zero reward. Yeah, he's doing it."  I can see the mesmerised look in his eye but I don't comment. They've gotta get together at their own pace. JJ moves back from the edge before doing a front flip off the cliff. We cheer like crazy. We run into the water to meet him as he's coming out. Pope is the first to meet him jumping into his arms. They cackle as they spin around. John B joins their hug and I put my arm around him. "Look at you go, big man."