(III) - The Orchestra 2

* * *

The grandeur of the cavernous hallway far exceeded even the most ornate Jedi Temple corridor. It slightly curved as you travelled along it, you and a nervous Rex, the both of you following its meticulously silver-engraved walls and the lush, wine-red carpet.

Despite the size of the crowd bustling its way past you, the air was mostly quiet, buzzing with only the occasional hushed murmurs and whispered remarks. More eyes than comfortable snagged on Rex as people passed by. You weren't quite sure if it was illegal for a clone to be in here, but by the looks of it, the guests probably thought it was.

Nerves jangled somewhere in your gut. The tension escaped your body through the subtlest of shallow breaths.

Your arm tightened slightly around Rex's, gentle so as not to ruffle his sleeve. When asked where he had gotten such a fine article of clothing, Rex had sheepishly smiled and interlaced his fingers and given a small 'eheh' and smiled again. Skywalker had lent him the clothes, as it turned out--a handcrafted piece from Anakin's own wedding.

Gleaming, oil-black, a politician's wet dream, the overcoat that Rex wore over his white dress shirt held itself proud in all its silken glory. The pants were woven of an equally fine material, the legs of which widened out a little around Rex's legs, and had to be cuffed at the bottom because of Anakin's height.

What completed the ensemble were the brazen corner covers on the lapels of his coat, and the bow tie at which Rex uncomfortably tugged every so often. The clothes weren't bad at all--no, they were all well and good; it was just the person filling them that might have dulled their grandeur.

He looked very out of place in them--and, you had to admit, very pretty.

Rex noticed you staring, and gave a little wink coupled with a sweet smile. A tiny rush went through your cheeks and you hastily glanced away.

Somewhere along the way to the auditorium, Tup, Stormy, and Cutthroat joined the two of you in a merry gathering. All of them stood somewhat shabby compared to Anakin's old wear, and the onlookers' stares only grew more hostile; but by the time all five of you had reached the grand entrance of the room, you were positive that nothing could dull Tup's mood.

Stormy playfully elbowed the Captain. "Nice suit, Cap." He chuckled.

Tup sniffed. "I think it looks splendid."

"It looks borrowed," Cutthroat mused.

"It looks fine. And hey, brother, it's not like you've anything better to wear," Rex shot back.

You were the first to approach the tall, imposing lacquered wooden double doors. Faint music penetrated through the wood. We're late. You placed a careful hand on the cool surface, and gently pressed on the door. It swung open on silent, well-oiled hinges. And the orchestra came into full view.

...

Wow.

Silent and marveling for what might have been minutes, the five of you couldn't help but stare in awe at the scene's sheer splendor.

A massive amphitheater, half the depth of the Senate room and twice as grand. Gold-rimmed archways and balconies were arranged in layers upon layers, running all the way down in terraces to line the oval stage--on which the orchestra stood.