II.

On July 2nd I was walking out of Jenny's Local Grocery Store when a tall handsome man bumped into me. He knocked all of my bags of food onto the ground. Angered I grunted and swore at him under my breath. He apologized to me and helped me pick up my food. He apologized and explained he wasn't looking, he kept his head held low. 

"Well obviously." I shot back.

"I'm really sorry, I didn't see you." He said, lifting his head. His eyes met my gaze while we knelt over the fallen food. He licked his lips and smiled and I forgot what I was mad about. He noticed the watermelon that had cracked in half and spilled its guts all over the sidewalk.

"I'm so sorry." He gathered the pieces, looking at them as if he could fix it. "I can pay you back for it." He told me.

"It's fine," I told him, it wasn't really but he was too cute to say yes.

"Maybe I could take you-" A woman walked up behind him and interrupted his sentence. 

"What happened here, hun?" Her voice had a coarse sound to it, almost as if she had swallowed sandpaper moments before.

His head dropped down again. "I accidentally ran into this kind man." I felt my face gently begin to warm.

"Just pay him and let's get going. I want to see your parent's cabin!" She squealed with excitement and dismissed me. 

"Are you guys staying here for the week?" I asked, curious and wanting to learn more about this mysterious stranger.

"Staying for the whole summer actually, or at least I am." He looked over at the girl, who was absently staring into the road behind me.

"I can go buy another one and you two can deal with this?" She asked the mysterious stranger. "I want to get out of here." She lowered her breath to say "It's boring around here, ain't it?" He made no response to her comment about the town but encouraged her to head inside and buy another watermelon. He walked to me and offered me his hand. "I'm Jove, by the way."

"Leo." I stood up, from where the watermelon pieces were. I was much shorter and smaller than him; we stood looking at one another for a moment, shaking each other's hands. His girlfriend came bouncing out of the store with a new watermelon and handed it to me.

"Have a nice summer!" They started walking away but he suddenly turned around to face me. "Hopefully I'll see you around." With that, he opened the store's squeaky doors and headed in.