Chapter 1

Nina's POV

Life was more or less livable before the new Thief Leader showed up. Yes I was a servant to the thieves, and yes I could probably die at any moment, but at least the Thief Leader didn't torture me for entertainment or anything like that. Which was partially what this new Thief Leader did.

Her name was a secret, but we all called her Jackal. She had gold colored hair, which was pretty rare in Lorule as far as I knew. Which wasn't very much. I was barely ever allowed outside of the Thieve's Den. But I had read a history book about Lorule once. It said that ever since the triforce was destroyed, anyone born didn't have light colored hair. It was always red, or green, or dark brown, or occasionally black. Every once in a while someone is born with light hair, but it's very rare.

I had silvery pale blue hair and two different colored eyes. One was violet and one was blue. My hair was possibly the palest and lightest hair seen ever since the destruction of the triforce.

Anyway, Jackal could pass for evil itself. She looks like an angel with her gorgeous curly gold hair and her blue eyes which are as cold and clear as ice, but at heart she's a monster.

"Servant! Bring me another chicken leg!" Jackal commanded. All of the thieves called me servant, never Nina. I doubt any of them knew my actual name except for one. I didn't really care. The thieves, all twenty of them, were in the middle of a feast at the moment. Jackal was celebrating becoming the Thief Leader.

I brought her over a chicken leg and bowed, staring at the ground. Jackal hated it when I looked her in the eye. She took the chicken leg from me, and then suddenly yanked out a knife from somewhere and held it to my throat. I held still, hardly daring to breathe. All of the thieves laughed at my predicament.

"Who wants some entertainment?" Jackal called. All of the thieves cheered except for one. His name was Koleer. He was roughly my age, and he was the only thief I could stand being around. He was the only one who didn't treat me like dirt, and he actually knew my name.

I won't go into details, but the rest of the feast was very painful. Luckily I survived without getting hurt too badly.

That night, I decided something had to change. If I stayed here, every day would be like that. I probably wouldn't live longer than a week. I knew Jackal would have no problem killing me.

I put a few rupees in a small purse that I owned, and then I pulled on my travel clothes. It was the exact same as my normal clothes, except I put on my greenish blue hat as well. Then I snuck out of the thieves den.

As soon as I stepped outside, I was blasted by a freezing cold wind. I shivered and hurried away in the darkness.

I had never left the den before, at least not that I could remember. The thieves had been my masters my whole life.

"Oh no..." I said. I had come to a dead end. On either side of me were tall cliff walls, and in front of me was a huge gray boulder. There would be no moving forward from here unless I had wings.

"Well well well. Looks like our little servant tried to run off," Jackal said from behind me. I slowly turned around.

Jackal stood there with four other thieves. I noticed that none of them were Koleer.

"I think it's time we taught our servant a lesson," Jackal said. I sighed. This was getting ugly fast. I looked around for a possible escape route. There were none. The only other living creature nearby other than the thieves was some sort of odd white bird thing that was hovering nearby. The bird thing had blue wings and red eyes, as well as two little pink feet. But it didn't look like whatever it was was interested in helping me.

"I think I'll take care of this myself," Jackal said, interrupting my thoughts. She pulled out her sword, which had a long black blade and a dark red hilt. Then she began slowly walking towards me. I tried to catch her off guard and run around her, but she swung the sword and made a long cut along my arm. I cried out in pain and fell to the ground. Jackal turned around and watched me with a smirk.

"Not thinking this is such a good idea now, are you?" She asked. She grabbed my hair with her free hand and yanked me to my feet.

"Hold her. I want to see her face when she dies," Jackal told the other thieves. Two of them grabbed my arms, and I almost screamed when they touched my injured arm. Then Jackal stabbed with her sword, and everything went dark.