Chapter Twenty-Six

White fur zipped by and I broke out of my state of shock, watching the two wolves roll around biting each other and growling loudly. Blood quickly splattered in the grass and I couldn't tell from who, they were moving so fast it made me dizzy.

Calix was suddenly thrown into the tree next to them and Axel snarled at him, watching as he rolled to his paws and shook off the debris, snarling right back.

I noticed many blood patches on Axel's once pure fur, but it didn't look like his so I averted my gaze to Calix, only able to see the blood on his blonde fur.

That's when he jumped, unsuccessfully latching his jaws onto Axel because he stepped aside, using his paw to push Calix's face into the dirt and making him take a huge chomp out of the ground.

This seemed to anger him because he shoved Axel's paw away with his own and spit the dirt out, unexpectedly whipping around and achieving what he was trying to do. His canines dug into Axel's neck and he threw him down, holding him against the ground with his jaws which forced him to lay belly up, kicking his hind legs wildly. Axel held onto his head with his claws as if he was trying to pull him off, yet Calix was unmoving.

That's when his flailing hind legs reached his side and he managed to kick him over, causing Calix to fall and drag Axel with him. The positions reversed so now Axel was pinning him to the grass, however, Calix kept his jaws on his neck despite being the one on his back.

Axel snarled, digging his paws into his neck until he yelped and finally released, flattening his ears and no longer trying to fight. This was the first time Calix didn't look terrifying, he just looked like a sad dog.

Blaine and Danny unexpectedly walked past me and I jumped in surprise, squeezing my hands and taking a step back next to the tree while I watched Axel step off Calix. He wasn't able to get up by the time Blaine held him down and Danny strapped something around his head, receiving a loud growl as he struggled against them to get free.

Blaine tightened his hold which stopped his squirming and Danny cursed, tightening the straps and making him whimper.

I frowned, hearing him snarl again in a way that sounded threatening. I felt slightly worried for their safety until they moved and revealed the silver muzzle they strapped over his snout, it was connected to leather straps that constricted around his skull. The metal around his jaws burned through his fur and the sight of his red, sizzling skin made me scrunch my face in disgust.

He snarled again and glared at Axel, whipping his head to face Blaine just as he clipped a collar around his neck. He jumped back as though he forgot about the muzzle and Calix seemed to have forgotten as well, yelping loudly from the silver cage applying more pressure onto his snout at his attempt to bite.

Axel snarled at his brother while Blaine and Danny began dragging him toward the houses by the leash. He fought back, but they ruthlessly yanked him each step.

I caught a glimpse of thick gloves over their hands that prevented skin contact with the silver chain then furrowed my eyebrows. However, my questions became blank after I heard footsteps and turned, frowning deeply at the forming pain in my heart.

Axel was walking away without any acknowledgment toward me.

He's leaving me.

I ran after him, thinking maybe he assumed I was following until I saw his ears flatten and his hackles raised when I reached his side.

This reaction stabbed into me and I slowed to a stop, a lump forming in my throat as he continued walking without even looking at me.

Did I do something wrong?