Research Purposes

**Kate POV

I was taking notes of those that had taken the vaccine.

Hmm, it seems we were doing well so far.

I just hoped we didn't have another pandemic like what we had just 2 years ago that was caused by Typhoon and Kyle.

One could hope.

"Let me know if you feel any different. Anything at all, even if it's small, do you understand?" I asked the volunteers.

The three of them nodded and they left.

I wrote on my charts some more and continued working, putting one pencil in my mouth and continued to write with another while forgetting about it.

"Babe, stop. You're becoming Bex."

I looked up and saw my girlfriend.

Her long ginger hair had been cut to chin length in the past year, which looked cute, though I think it bothered her.

Meanwhile, I had grown mine out to my shoulders.

I think we were the opposite of what our hair was before now.

"I am not Bex and I thought she stopped that." I said, pulling the pencil out of my mouth.

Nicole shook her head, but she was smiling in amusement.

"Sadly, old habits die hard. Especially when you do die." Nicole said, though it was probably meant as a joke, it was a bit in poor taste.

Sure, it's been a little bit since all that but still.

I can't get the images out of my mind of Nicole herself being sick and almost at death's door because of the very same thing.

I think Nicole saw my face, "It was a joke."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." I apologized and Nicole came to sit on my lap.

My hand immediately went to move her hair, which wasn't there and she rolled her eyes at me.

"It's been a week."

I smiled, "Force of habit, we've been together for two years."

Nicole kissed me and smiled back, "I know. Do you wanna get dinner?"

That did sound good.

As I was going to say yes, the phone rang.

I frowned as I picked up my phone, it was Josh.

"Why is Josh calling you?" Nicole asked me,  clearly confused at the thought of Josh even thinking of calling me.

I shook my head, "I don't know. Let's find out."

Answering the phone, I asked, "Josh, you know you're calling me, right?"

The scoff was evident.

"Yes, I know. You need to come upstairs, now." Josh argued with me.

Nicole and I looked at each other with odd looks.

Why would we need to go upstairs?

My research room was on one of the lower levels, as well as most of the research was on the same level now.

I even had a lab on the campus of STU, but mainly my assistants ran that.

"Why?" I asked him.

There was a sigh from Josh, not of frustration, but of what seemed like he was upset about the phone call nonetheless.

Josh then answered, "It's Sky, she's asking for you."

Me?

*** **** ***

Nicole and I went upstairs, we were going to Ruby's office.

She turned and it was always startling to see her with bright red hair, as she has been a washed out blonde for the longest time.

While Nicole was ginger, Ruby's hair matched that of her name.

"Hey." She greeted me, though she didn't sound all that happy to see us.

Nicole hugged her and said, "Hi, what's up? Where's Sky?"

I hugged Ruby as well, she was always busy and we almost never saw each other.

She was currently outside her office and she looked irritated, "She's inside, having a mental breakdown and talking with Dr. Edgecomb."

Dr. Edgecomb?

I didn't trust him.

Psychiatrists were always something I wasn't a fan of, even if they were helping those that had issues after all this time.

Director Lee tried to get me to go and talk to him,  but I didn't feel comfortable talking to someone that was younger than me.

He was as old as Bex and I was older than her by 3 years.

"Seriously?" I scoffed.

Nicole nudged me, "What happened?"

"I found her in the hallway, sobbing uncontrollably and talking about Jacques. I figured this was the best thing right now." Ruby argued.

Was it though?

I looked at Ruby, "Then why did Josh....?"

"She asked for you. I figured it was easier than arguing with her while she was scream crying at everyone." Josh said, coming out of the office.

Josh didn't really change too much in the two year time span.

"Scream crying?" Nicole asked.

Ruby nodded in agreement with Josh, "It's true. It was terrible."

"But now she wants to talk to me?" I asked.

Josh and Ruby looked reluctantly at one another and then nodded.

Josh answered, "Edgecomb was trying to tell her no, but she was quite insistent."

Of course she was.

I rolled my eyes and Nicole held my hand, "You don't..."

"I should though. She's been affected by this the most. And she's..."

"You best friend. I know. Then go, I'll be here." Nicole assured me and kissed me quickly on the cheek.

I opened the door and then went inside to go see Sky.