Chapter 7

Rain takes P'Phayu's hand as they walk back to the castle, he is thinking how much he enjoyed their morning in the gardens and hopes P'Phayu and he can visit them often. They have just entered the palace when someone calls P'Phayu's name. Rain turns and sees P'Pai coming towards them.

"You two went missing for a while." P'Pai teases. "Oddly enough the gardeners were complaining about loud noises coming from the back gardens. They are determined that a new invasive and very vocal species of birds have been released on the planet."

Rain feels his cheeks grow hot at this but P'Phayu laughs and says, "I seem to remember your secretary catching you and Sky on the meeting room table. At least I remembered to lock the garden gate."

Had he? Rain hadn't noticed. "I'll go take a shower." Rain says. He feels like P'Pai wants to speak with P'Phayu alone. P'Pai gives Rain an amused looks and Rain says lamely, "It was hot outside."

"I'm sure the gardens were very hot," P'Pai says with a laugh. Rain decides to retreat before he spontaneously combusts from embarrassment.

As he is leaving he hears P'Pai say, "So is there going to be another meeting tonight? Namtan has finished dictating the notes from last night if you want a transcript."

Rain frowns at this. Wait, meeting, what meeting? When had P'Phayu attended a meeting? Rain was with him all day yesterday and most of all today. Was it after Rain had gone to sleep last night? But then why hadn't he told Rain he was going? He considers if he should ask P'Phayu about the meeting but decides that if his husband wants him to know he will tell him about it. Rain feels the joy of early starting to fade away, P'Phayu leaving him out of the meetings when they are supposed to be working together and not even telling Rain about them makes Rain feel as if his husband doesn't trust him as his partner.

Rain tries to put the thoughts out of his head as they make their way to dinner. There are more guests at dinner that night, he and P'Phayu are seated at different tables each with their own group of politicians and high ranking officials. P'Phayu gives him an apologetic look and says, "I promise dinners won't always be like the, usually they are just family affairs but since I have been gone for a while a lot of people are requesting audiences at the moment and dinner is the only time the king and queen have to spare right now."

"It's okay," Rain says a little sadly, "I don't mind, I had you to myself this morning. I understand you have a country to run."

P'Phayu gives him an odd look at this tone, but they don't have time to talk again during dinner. Rain is seated with an important group of high ranking politicians and their families. He feels very awkward and out of his depth especially when they keep throwing thinly veiled insults his directions as if they think Rain is too dumb to understand them. They also call him, "The Human" in loud stage whispers. Rain looks up and sees P'Phayu sitting at the head table, too far to hear what is happening. Sky is however sitting near him and keeps throwing the group side-eyes and frowning. He tries his best to engage Rain in conversations about architecture and plants to help Rain ignore the group but as the night goes on Rain finds himself getting more and more depressed.

By the end of the night Rain is very depressed. "What's wrong, little bunny?" P'Phayu asks him.

Rain shakes his head, he doesn't want to talk about the people at dinner or ask P'Phayu about his meetings he has been going to. He is afraid to hear the words that will confirm the fact that P'Phayu doesn't trust him with important matters. He tries a different tactic.

"P'Phayu will I be attending meetings with you soon?" Rain asks.

P'Phayu smiles and hugs him close. "There's no need to rush things. You can wait until you're ready."