The importance of Rizal Law

Republic Act. No. 1425, also known as the Rizal Law has been enacted on June 12, 1956 and was sponsored and authored mainly by the late Senator Jose P. Laurel and Senator Claro M. Recto. Rizal Law is a mandate to include in the course curricula of all public and private schools, colleges and universities the life, works and writings of Jose Rizal, particularly his novels Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo.

It is important to note that before the enactment of the Rizal Law, Senate Bill No. 438 was submitted to the Senate Committee on Education on April 3, 1956. It is "an Act to Include in the Curricula of All Public and Private Schools, Colleges and Universities courses on the Life Works and Writings of JOSE RIZAL, particularly his novels NOLI ME TANGERE and EL FILIBUSTERISMO, Authorizing the Printing and Distribution Thereof, and for Other Purposes."

On April 17, 1956 the bill was sponsored and presented to the members of the Senate or the Upper House by the late Senator Jose P. Laurel, who was then the Chairman of the Committee. According to the late Senator Jose P. Laurel the dissemination of ideas and ideals of Jose Rizal through the reading of his works, notably the NOLI ME TANGERE and EL FILIBUSTERISMO is the main purpose of the bill.

He stated that "Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo must be read by all Filipinos. They must be taken to heart, for in their pages we see ourselves as a mirror, our defects as well as our strength, our virtues as well as our vices. Only then would we become conscious as a people, and so learn to prepare ourselves for painful sacrifices that ultimately lead to self-reliance, self-respect and freedom (Laurel, Jr.,131).

Meanwhile, Congressman Jacobo Z. Gonzales also filed a similar bill called House Bill No. 5561 to the House of Representatives. Unfortunately, akin to Senate Bill No. 438, House Bill No. 5561 had also been opposed contending its constitutionality and religiosity. It was then that a substitute bill has been proposed to include all the works and writings of Jose Rizal, ruling out the exclusivity of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo as the main features of the previous bills.

Moreover, the late Senator Jose P. Laurel asserted the importance of reading the original and unexpurgated edition of Rizal's novel because the true purpose of studying these will be defeated if not followed. On May 12, 1956 and May 14, 1956, Senate Bill No. 438 and House Bill No. 5561 were both unanimously approved on the second reading and in the Lower House.

On June 12, 1956, the bill was signed into law by President Ramon Magsaysay, giving birth to Republic Act 1425 or the Rizal Law.

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 1425 "AN ACT TO INCLUDE IN THE CURRICULA OF ALL PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS, COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES COURSES ON THE LIFE, WORKS AND WRITINGS OF JOSE RIZAL, PARTICULARLY HIS NOVELS NOLI ME TANGERE AND EL FILIBUSTERISMO, AUTHORIZING THE PRINTING AND DISTRIBUTION THEREOF, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES."

WHEREAS, today, more than any other period of our history, there is a need for a re-dedication to the ideals of freedom and nationalism for which our heroes lived and died;

WHEREAS, it is meet that in honoring them, particularly the national hero and patriot, Jose Rizal, we remember with special fondness and devotion their lives and works that have shaped the national character;

WHEREAS, the life, works and writing of Jose Rizal, particularly his novels Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo, are a constant and inspiring source of patriotism with which the minds of the youth, especially during their formative and decisive years in school, should be suffused;

WHEREAS, all educational institutions are under the supervision of, and subject to regulation by the State, and all schools are enjoined to develop moral character, personal discipline, civic conscience and to teach the duties of citizenship; Now, therefore,