Chapter 2: Sokka

After about an hour and a half of picking corn, i start to wonder where my mom was. Ususally she's only gone for an hour. I look over down the hill and realize she walking up towards the house. But there was something really strange. There was a.....boy with her. A teenage boy to be exact. I gasp and quickly go hide behind some sheets that were hanging on the clothe line. I set the backet of corn down and peek around the sheet. I watch as they approch my dad and start talking. The boy shakes my dad's hand and smiles. Who was that? Why is he here? And why was he walking with my mom? I pull my head back behide the sheet. I try to think of every posibility. I start to get deep in thought when I hear my name being called.

"Ara! Come hear for a second, there is someone you outta meet!" My mother calls. For some reason I became really nervious. I take a deep breath and walk out into the open. My dad and mom smile as i walk towards them. I look over at the boy and he's just staring at my with wide eyes. And i think i can see a light blush on his cheeks.

"This is our daughter." My mother says rather excitedly. I look over at him and smile.

"Hi. My names Ara." I say gentle, as i stick my hand out in front of him. With out loosing eye contact, he slowly reaches out and grabs my hand.

"H-hi....I'm Sokka." Sokka?........where have i heard that name before?... He continues holding my hand, even though i wasn't trying to hold his any more.

"Uhh..." I look over to my parents.

"Uh, so Sokka, where are you from?" My dad interupts. He snaps out of it and looks over at my dad.

"Oh, well I used to live in the southern water tide, but now I just....travel." he says scratching his head. My dad smiles, seeming rathered excited.

"Wow, how fasinating."

"So hun? What do ya think?" My mom says anxiously.

"Well I think he's a fine young man, but uh.......I don't know sweety." They both look at each other. At this point, I was very confused. I shift my gaze back and forth from Sokka to my parents. My dad lets out a heavy sigh and looks back over to Sokka. "Alright Sokka, you're hired." He says shaking his hand.

"Hired?!?!" I exclaim. They all just stare at me as if I already knew this.

"Heh heh, Will you excuse us for a moment?" My mother says bring me and my dad away from Sokka. "Ara, sweety, we are hiring Sokka to help your father out with the gardening and such. When I was down at the market, I could over hear him talking to one of the shop owners. He was searching for a fair paying job. He said he was good with his hands, loved working around food and he would even do some labor. I thought it would be perfect for him, and us, to work around the garden. I asked him if he was interested, and he seem very willing to try it out." I face palm and look over at Dad. He just shrugs. I could practically hear him saying, "What the lady wants, she gets."

"Well what if he finds out about..." I quickly look over at him. He's just kicking some dirt, every once and a while glacing over. I switch my voice to a whisper. "...about my air bender?" She sighs and places her hands on her hips.

"Well I guess we'll just have to be careful." I roll my eyes. "Now, you are going to get to know him better and show him around, is that clear?" I tighten my lips, avoiding eye contact. "Is that clear?" She repeats herself.

"Yes ma'ma."

"Good, now go on." I pivit around and start walking to Sokka. He glances up and realizes I'm walking towards him. He quickly fixes his posture, and smiles widely. I stop right infront of him and cross my arms. Just to mess with his head I lean in really close to his face and smile. His cheeks turn red and he widens his eyes.

"Hm. Up close, you dont seem that bad. Kinda cute!" I snicker. His whole face turns beet red. At this, I just I giggle. He actually wasn't that bad looking. Buuuut, I still just met the guy. I start walking past him and jester for him to follow me. "Lets go Sokka. I'll show you around." He snaps out of it and hurries to catch up with me.

I give him a complete tour of our garden and show him where all the tools and such were. He hardly taked at all, only giving minor come backs such as "ok" and "Uhuh". Probably still shooken up form what i did earlier. I was just playing around...

As we head back to the the house, I try to start up a conversation.

"So, Sokka. What brings you to a little town like this?" I very sollumly jester toward the village.

"Oh well, me and my friends are actually staying in a city near by and they forced me to start helping pay for food and stuff. So, they recomended that I get a job."

"Oh really? I didn't know you were with friends. Must be nice..." I say rather gloomly. He looks over at me confused.

"What do you mean? Don't you have friends?" I sigh and hang my head.

"No. Not really. My parents don't let my go down to the village. So, I don't get to meet people." He frowns and thinks for a moment.

"Wait, why don't your parents let you go to the village?" Still hanging my head, i widen my eyes. "Well uh..." Oh no, I've really gotten myself in trouble now. What if he finds out I'm an air bender?

"Well you see....uh....my parents are really protective of me....so, uh, thats why they dont want to me to go to the village." Phew...

"Well then," we both stop walking. "I'll be you friend." he smiles at me and shrugs.

"Really?" I say smiling.

"Yeah, why not? And maybe sometime, you can meet my friends."

"That would be awesome!" I say cheerfully. We both smile at each other. I look into his blue eyes kindly. He raises his eye brows and blushes. I just giggle and start walking again. "Come on, lets go back to the house."

Sokka stayed for a few more hours then left, because it was getting dark. After a long day, I plop down on my bed and sigh. What a day. An image of Sokka pops into my head. So i guess I have a new friend. I smile to myself and driff to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So guys, what do you think so far? I know it's kinda short. Do you think I introduced sokka good? i really need some feed back!!!!! *n* I'm kinda new at tis sooooo i really need to know if i'm doin it right!

I should of probably mentioned this earlier, but this story takes place AFTER Aang defeats the emperor. yeah i know, that is a big part. heh heh....sorry. ^_^'

plez plez plez comment or vote.....or something! I would really apreciate it! Thanks y'all! ;)