twelve

As they climbed the icy staircase, Zethes stayed behind them, his blade drawn. The guy might've looked like a disco-era reject, but there was nothing funny about his sword.

Ariana figured one hit from that thing would probably turn them into a Popsicle.

Then there was the ice princess. Every once in a while she'd turn and give Jason a smile, but there was no warmth in her expression.

She regarded Jason like he was an especially interesting science specimen one she couldn't wait to dissect.

If these were Boreas's kids, Ariana wasn't sure she wanted to meet their father.

Boreas was the friendliest of the wind gods. Apparently that meant he didn't kill heroes quite as fast as the others did.

Ariana watched as Jason took ahold of Pipers hand, probably for reassurance.

Piper raised her eyebrows, but she didn't let go.

"I'll be fine," she promised. "Just a talk, right?"

"Why do I always end up third wheeling."

At the top of the stairs, the ice princess looked back and noticed them holding hands. Her smile faded.

Suddenly Jason let go off Pipers hold, and his fingers were smoking with frost. So were Piper's.

"Warmth is not a good idea here, the princess advised, "especially when i am your best chance of staying alive. Please, this way."

Piper gave Ariana a nervous frown like, What was that about?

She didn't have an answer. Zethes poked her in the back with his icicle sword, and they followed the princess down a massive hallway decked in frosty tapestries.

Freezing winds blew back and forth, and Ariana thoughts moved almost as fast.

"Hey." Piper touched Jasons arm. "You still with me?"

Pipers blessing was slowly disappearing. Her hair was beginning to go back to how it was; choppy with little braids down the side; the makeup was rapidly fading.

"Yeah... yeah, sorry."

At the end of the hallway they found themselves in front of a set of oaken doors carved with a map of the world. In each corner was a man's bearded face, blowing wind.

The princess turned. Her brown eyes glittered, and Ariana felt like she was a Christmas present she was hoping to open.

"This is the throne room," she said. "Be on your best behavior, Jason Grace. My father can be ... chilly. I will translate for you, and try to encourage him to hear you out. I do hope he spares you. We could have such fun."

"Um, okay," he managed. "But really, we're just here for a little talk. We'll be leaving right afterward."

The girl smiled. "I love heroes. So blissfully ignorant."

Piper rested her hand on her dagger. "Well, how about you enlighten us? You say you're going to translate for us, and we don't even know who you are. What's your name?"

"She's Khione, daughter of Boreas, goddess of snow." Ariana told Piper. "Lower your guard."

Ariana herself made her swords disappear.

The girl sniffed at Piper with distaste. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you don't recognize me. Even in the ancient times the Greeks did not know me well. Their island homes were too warm, too far from my domain. Though Ariana is correct, I am Khione, daughter of Boreas, goddess of snow."

She stirred the air with her finger, and a miniature blizzard swirled around her big, fluffy flakes as soft as cotton.

"Now, come," Khione said. The oaken doors blew open, and cold blue light spilled out of the room. "Hopefully you will survive your little talk."