TIME IN-BETWEEN

As Test Tube woke up, there was no knocking — no horrible, loud banging – that she could hear. She looked around for a moment and sighed. Finally, what she's been wanting. A day to relax. Checking the clock, she saw it was already 9:30 AM. Thank goodness it wasn't late, though. She got herself ready, changing into her grey hoodie and sweatpants. She let her hair stay down today since it wouldn't be much of a problem. She wrote a small to-do list, put some important things in a bag, and headed outside.

"TO-DOS:

‐ AQUIRE FOOD AND DRINK FOR SUBJECTS (THEY MUST BE HUNGRY)
‐ BE SOCIAL (UGH)
‐ CHECK ON FAN (HE'S SURELY WORRIED ABOUT HIS FRIENDS)
‐ LOOK OVER SUBJECTS, ESPECIALLY PAINTBRUSH (AND APPLE, FOR HER SAFETY)
‐ ATTEMPT TO PUT UP MORE ADVERTISEMENTS (THE MORE THE BETTER)
‐ EAT (YOU FORGET THAT A LOT NOWADAYS)
‐ GET TO BED BEFORE 10 PM (NO MORE 'SLEEPING UNTIL 2 PM' NONSENSE)"

She went up the tube and sprinted down the path to the hotel, making sure not to get too many eyes on her. She soon slowed down to a normal pace, taking a breath and walking inside. People greeted her.

Mic started.
"Hi, Test Tube!"
Suitcase gave a shy "Hello," from the couch.
Cheesy went next, waving a single arm in the air to get her attention.
"Hey, Tuber!!"
Baseball didn't speak, but he gave a single nod as if to calm her nerves.
OJ waved at her, about to speak before Marshmallow interrupted.
"Test Tube! Hi!!"
Paper and Nickel told her "Good morning," but in two different tones, of course. Paper sounded awkward, while Nickel was dismissive.
Balloon was going to say something, but he decided against it and walked someplace else.

She felt.. welcome. A small smile spread from her usually neutral expression. Suddenly, she heard someone pushing through the small crowd.
"Sorry- Pardon me- Don't take this to heart-"
She soon recognized the voice, just before the person revealed themself. It was Fan! He panted, pushing his blonde hair away from his face. As he looked up at Test Tube, he smiled, hugging her.
"TESTY! Oh, you idiot, I told you to tell me if anything happened! Are you hurt? I'm worried about you."

Her face glowed red with embarrassment, giving a shy smile and patting his shoulder.
"W-Well, thank you? I didn't know you and I were THAT close.."

"Oh, no, we aren't. I meant it because I haven't seen Lightbulb in.. 3 days? 4 days? And a bunch of other people have been disappearing. I don't think OJ has realized yet, but I'm worried that you'll be lost forever with the others. Who knows where they are??"

She looked guilty at the mention of Lightbulb, turning away. It was still an odd topic. He noticed her dismay, letting go of her to let his arms hang at his sides.
"Is something up? Do you- Do you know where they are?"

"Fan.. we need to go speak in private."

He grabbed her wrist with a surprisingly strong grip, leading her to his room. The other bed was empty. He asked her to sit on it, which she did. He sat on the other bed.
"What is it? Don't tell me you've-"

"They aren't dead."

Shock was most of the emotion on his face. He felt a weird mix of emotions on the inside, though. Should he trust her? Why is she telling him? What does she mean by that? Could he get views by posting this on his blog? He cleared his throat.
"What does that mean?"

"I-.. I took them, Fan. I took them down and into my laboratory. They're hardly themselves anymore; some mentally, some physically. I am very, very dreadfully nervous. Please, Fan, don't tell anyone. I promise I don't want to keep doing this."

"Then why are you?"

"I don't know. I forced myself to keep going because I have no cure. I can't do anything. I'm so sorry."

"Testy.."

She looked away from him, not expecting forgiveness. She was right. She didn't get forgiveness.

She got a hug.
From Fan.

"I'm so sorry, Test Tube. I won't tell anyone, I promise."

She was surprised.
"Really?"

"Really."

They hugged for a while. After they parted, waving a solemn goodbye to each other as she headed out of the hotel, Test Tube crossed him off her list (along with being social). She had also stolen a few foods from the hotel, so she crossed that off too. It felt good to tell someone. She decided not to put up any advertisements, heading to her vending machine. She grabbed a few drinks from it, going inside.

She walked into the cell hall, speaking to everyone there.
"Who wants food and drink?"
Most everyone exclaimed some form of yes. She slid the food and drinks through a small conpartment in the door. She decided to give Apple another snack as well, since she still felt bad for her. She walked over to Paintbrush's chamber, staring at them. She kneeled in front of the glass wall and they turned to her, still taking a sip of their drink.

"Test Tube, hi! What's up?"
Their voice still sounded slightly higher than normal as they spoke, taking another sip afterwards.

She squinted.
"What's up with you?"
She formed it as a genuinely confused 'what's wrong with you', but they took it as her flipping the question.

"Nothing much, thanks. I'm just a little confused."

"As am I. What did you say yesterday? That you were Marshmallow?"

"I- I am. What about it, do I look weird??"

She kept quiet for a moment, thinking.
"...No. Just a bit different."

"Are you sure?"

"Yup. So, are you aware that you look like Paintbrush?"

"You- I thought you said it was a BIT different!"
They looked at themselves and gave Test Tube a small frown.
"Not a funny joke."

"Do you see yourself as Marshmallow? As in your body, mind, other things?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

She gave a slow nod, standing back up.
"That's good for today. You have fun, Marsh."

"Okay!"

She walked to her bed, ready to go to sleep. Even though it was only 12 PM.

But then she heard a knock — a horrible, loud bang.