Chapter 9

Fighting a giant dragon is a lot easier and at the same time harder to fight with an ally.

Easier because two against one was an advantage. And it was harder too because he couldn’t do what he would usually do against a bigger enemy with Cross in the way. The dragon also wasn’t making it easy. It was easy to tell neither of them had dealt with a dragon before, unlike with Horror who was a common werewolf. 

Along with the fact that Horror was trying to capture Ink, not kill him!

The dragon’s attacks were more lethal, along with its giant size, it was hard to attack. They were both stuck on the defensive and dodges. 

They were both getting tired, he could tell. 

Ink had even tried to leave with Cross, but the dragon had blocked the exits with its tail. 

Splotches was panicking and hiding in his bag, it was the only thing they could really do at the moment. 

One particular attack, a smack from the dragon's tail, had gotten Cross. Luckily, he was just unconscious and not dead. Ink picked him up in a fireman's carry. The dragon looked like it was glaring at him, it growled and the noise sent shivers down his spine. 

The dragon opened its mouth and energy started to build up in its throat, it was gonna attack again. He needed to leave, to get somewhere safe. 

Safe…

Safe…

Safe…

As soon as those thoughts crossed his mind, a dome of black ink protected him from the beam of glitched light and it moved him someplace else. 

He knew exactly where he was, his Doodlesphere.

“About time you woke up, huh? Did you enjoy your decade old nap?” Ink quipped sarcastically. A rumble was the only response. 

“Well it’s better than you doing something irrationally, I suppose.” Ink whispered to himself. He then remembered his unconscious companion. 

He sighed with relief, his friend would be alright. He could also take a break, as time didn’t move in the Doodlesphere. 

Another rumble took him out of his thoughts. 

“No you cannot kill anyone, don’t even try.” He quickly shot down the idea. He did not want it happening again. 

His thoughts went back to the dragon. It probably lived in the forest somewhere, especially since they keep encountering it. He was also confused on why the dragon spent so much time and energy trying to get them. It would be a waste of time for a dragon, it didn’t make sense. 

To most dragons, they were probably seen as no more than bugs, creatures that they wouldn’t bother to deal with. But this was odd behavior, it didn’t seem like it was hunting them for food  either. It felt like the dragon saw them as a threat. 

It probably did. 

That would be a problem, he was already behind on his mission. Getting hunted down by a dragon would not help at all. 

He was interrupted from his thoughts by a groan. He quickly moved to kneel next to Cross. 

“Cross? Are you feeling okay?” Another groan was his only response. Splotches finally crawled out of the safety of his satchel and chirped at him. It was clear they were still shaken up so he softly picked them up and petted all of their heads repeatedly. “Hey bud, you’re alright…” He softly whispered. While Splotches was still shaking, it wasn't as much as before.