13

I paced around my chamber, occasionally reaching for the door handle but dropping my hand each time. My stomach was suffering an onslaught of emotions, as was my head and heart. Confusion, excitement, worry, and shame bombarded me. But, I felt less shame than I perhaps should have.

Locke had kissed me last night, deliciously so. Multiple times. I wasn't sure why, or what it meant, and I was worried to find out. So I continued aimlessly pacing around the carpeted floor. If I'd worn down the carpet to the shape of my tracks, I wouldn't have been surprised.

I glanced at the 'alarm clock' - apparently it was an electronic clock that one could set to make a sound at a specific time, but I'd never used it - and the time was 9:30 in the morning.

I was used to rising early as I had my entire life. In Flawmore, I woke between 5:30 and 6:00, and my daily chores as well as my seamstress tasks began at 7:00. Even here, I continued that same pattern, though a bit later. I woke around 7:00 and left the house by 8:30.

I was never still in my room by 9:30. It was a Saturday morning, meaning most of the working people had today off to take a rest from the week, as well as Sundays, but even on weekends I never rested this long. If Locke was here, I wasn't sure if he'd gone out already for the morning, he would probably be suspicious of my behavior.

I walked toward the door once more, preparing to raise my hand to the knob, when a knock startled me.

My stomach lurched at the prospect of coming face to face with him again after what had occurred between us last night. I didn't think I was courageous enough to open the door. What if he regretted it? What if he felt it was a mistake? Surely he did, as no man had ever expressed interest in me before.

"Willow?" His deep voice called from the other side of the door.

I took a deep breath and reached for the knob again, but this time I turned it, opening the door to reveal Locke in all of his masculine beauty.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. He glanced down at my body before bringing his eyes back to mine. My skin broke out in an intense heat under his gaze. I felt so hot suddenly.

"I'm fine. Why?" I asked though I knew why he was concerned. I never stayed in my room so late into the morning.

"You never came downstairs. I was worried you'd fell in the shower or something."

I smiled softly at his concern for my well-being but shook my head. "No, nothing like that. My stomach is just a bit worked up today. I decided to lay in bed longer." I felt a bit of guilt with my white lie. I was not a liar, and I detested those who did lie. But, I couldn't reveal to him the true cause of my upset. It would be humiliating.

"You're stomach? Are you getting sick?"

"No, I don't think so. I made cookies while you were away, and I think I ate a few too many last night." That was not a lie, I did overindulge in some delicious cookies.

"Oh. Well, I made eggs and toast if you want to eat something."

I nodded and took a step closer to the door. "Yeah, that sounds nice. Thank you."

He stepped back and allowed me to move through the doorway. I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen with the hair on the back of my neck standing to attention the entire time. I knew his gaze was on me.

I sat down at the table where Locke had prepared two plates of food. When he sat, I started eating, trying my best to appear unphased by him, but I think he was aware of the nervous energy I carried.

"Are you alright?" He asked, looking at me as I shoveled a forkful of scrambled eggs into my mouth.

"I'm fine. My stomach feels a little bit better now. Why?"