Chap. 72

"You have to tell your parents about this Emma?" Blake says as he pulls up across the street from her house. They just left Jason's house a few minutes ago once it was clear the he didn't send her the letter "I know...I'll show it to them before they leave for their trip's tonight. I just really hope they don't brush this off as nothing" knowing her parents that's probably exactly what they would do. They wouldn't cancel their business trips for her wellbeing "I'll text you later let you know how it turns out" she reaches for the handle before he calls her name. She turns her head looking up at him he leans down kissing her lips softly before pulling away leaning back the driver seat once again facing forward "What was that for?" she grins sheepishly touching her lips. He pushes some hair out his eyes before meeting her's again "To reassure you everything will be ok... I'm here" she could help the dumb smile from making it's way onto her lips before opening the door. She climbs out walking across the street looking back at him one last time blowing him a kiss which he pretends to catch before driving off down the road to pick up Alex. She climbs up back into her room unlocking her bedroom door "Mother father I need to show you something" she say while walking down stairs. She pulls the paper out her pocket seeing her parents downstairs in the living room her mother was reading and her father was looking over some paperwork on the table reading glasses sat on his nose. Their eyes look up to meet hers "Well it's nice of you to finally show your face I haven't seen you all day" her father states as she finally reached them. She bits her lip swallowing hard "Sorry father this letter came for the me in the mail yesterday. And it scared me so much I stayed in my room all day" he raised a eyebrow before Emma passes the letter to him. Her mother watches on while sitting the book down "What letter? I know I found a empty envelope with your name on it yesterday when I came home but I didn't really think anything of it" her father looks over the news clipping. Her father passed it over to her mother "This may be something serious we should call the police and report this" her mother looks over the paper brow raised. She lets out a snort before passing it back to Emma "I'm sure this is a harmless prank Emma" Emma's eye's widen at her mother's comment it sounded ridiculous "Even so I think we should call the police about this. People should not be sending our daughter this" her father said sounding mad at her mother's uncaring nature. He stands pulling out his phone dialing 911 "Fine if it will ease your nerves go ahead. But I will not be cancelling my business trip for something as simple as a prank" she says rolling her eyes. Emma had to admit it was nice to finally have one of her parents on her side for once. Maybe when the police came they could look into this farther and find out who left it.

****

"Your mother's probably right Emma this probably a harmless joke" the chief of police says before handing her back the piece of paper. She knew as soon as his car was the one that pulled into their driveway he wouldn't believe a word that she said. He filled her parents head with situations that have happened similar to this one before easing her father's worried mind. At least this time he didn't come by himself he brought his new lieutenant with him a pale woman face peppered with freckles and long curly red hair and a thick Irish accent her name was Mona O'Connor. She stopped writing in her notes when she hears Mr. Gates comment "Sir with all do respect just because the situations are similar doesn't mean they are the same" she focused her green eyes on him he crosses his arms. Emma nods her head agreeing with Ms. O'Connor "Well lieutenant, I'm the chief of police I think I would know if there was a problem here and I don't see any problems here. Just a teenager with overactive imagination we have more important problems in town then to follow this farther" Emma could read Ms. O'Connor's expression easily she wanted to say more but let's it go. She gives him a sharp nod "Fair play sir" she says simply but clearly unhappy "But if something else does happen do call we'll be here to assist you in any way we can. Let's go Ms. O'Connor" he walks past her followed by her parents escorting him to the door. Ms. O'Connor looks down at her before scribbling something inside her notebook before pulling the page out handing it to her "Had to make sure he wasn't earwigging about before I told yah this. Right brutal fella he is, he acts like a holy joe but I know he ain't. And if you find your self needing me or some help this is my personal cell. And I'll be takin that, keep it in my personal records just in case" Emma smiles passing her the news clipping she tuck the paper into her notebook. She gives Emma a nods while sliding her notebook into her pocket walking towards the front door. It gave Emma alittle comfort to know at least Ms. O'Connor was on her side hopefully something like this wouldn't happen again or hopefully something a hell of a lot worse wasn't to come.

(Mia note: I had to at least post a chapter on my birthday!! 🎂 happy new year everyone.