Chapter two:Mixed POV:Welcome

Edward

Emmett put me to work. More manual labor than I ever thought I'd do in one day, aside from saving and helping animals. Did I forget to mention that? When I said Cornell I meant their veterinary school. I suppose that those dreams long gone, though.

It was magical, though. Seeing how so many people worked in sync, putting the large tent up and then setting up smaller ones. By the time the sun was starting to set the circus was set up.

Emmett chuckled over my shoulder. "Well, we're going to have to work on your tolerance." He teased, grabbing my bleeding hand.

"It's just a few blisters." I grumbled. "And I'm sure you've had your fair share of them."

"Of course." Rodrigo said, walking up to us. "Means you're working." He took a swig of his near-beer. "Speaking of which, I've heard Jacob is playing poker with the inner circle. Follow me."

I waved to Emmett, who grinned and clapped my shoulder. I followed Rodrigo to the front cars or the train. "Don't talk to the performers." Rodrigo muttered to me. "Especially the harlots."

I could have sworn I felt blood rush into my cheeks as we entered the car assigned to those kinds of performers. I kept my head down as the dozen or so women leered at me, still playing their roles, apparently, their bodies covered by the smallest shiniest of garments.

(I'm sorry but I NEED to mention the scene I'm referring to in the movie-I can't Rob's reaction was so. . .🤣🤣🤣)

We made our way through the performers' spaces and entered a quiet lobby like car. "Is the boss home?" Rodrigo asked the old man sitting at a desk. He nodded in response and Rodrigo led me into the next car. There were six men sitting at a round wooden table playing poker, the most well-dressed playing one handed, for the other rested on the small of a beautiful woman's back.

Her wide brown eyes glanced up at me, and she flushed looking at the other wall as the hand she had on the tanned man's shoulder crept into his back hair. He looked up from his hand of cards, first at the woman and then at Rodrigo and I.

"Rodrigo! I'm so glad you could make it!" The man said pleasantly, eyeing me.

"Yes, yes I'm afraid I won't be staying long." Rodrigo chuckled. "Bad leg and an aging body makes staying up late with you scoundrels rather challenging."

The man chuckled, looking over at the woman and rubbing her back. "Darling please be a dear and get the true alcohol. We have a new guest."

The woman sighed quietly, smiling at Rodrigo before ducking into a curtained off space, appearing with a tray that had three shot glasses and a decanter. The man kissed her cheek as he passed her, sitting down at a small seating area. The woman placed the wooden tray on the end table between the two leather loveseats, disappearing behind the curtain at the end of the open space. I saw briefly that it was a bed area she walked into.

"Jacob Black." The man introduced himself as the other men in the room continued the game. "I'm hoping you're here for a job?"

"Yes, sir." I responded, sitting down when Jacob extended a hand to the couch across from him.

"Have you worked a similar job before?" Jacob asked.

"No, sir. But I helped set up the tent today."

Jacob handed me a glass of whiskey and put a foot over his other leg's knee. He smelled the whiskey before downing the shot. "What can you do, Edward?"

"I'm very close to being a certified vet." I answered cautiously. "I would be a professional if a misfortune had not occurred."

Jacob studied my face for a minute. "What animals can you help?"