Chapter 19

Kakashi POV.

"Kakashi Sensei!!"

Huh? My head turns as Naruto bursts from the forest edge, my visible eye narrowing as I stand straighter. The Hokage had me and most of the other Jonin handle an attack on the village. A little strange due to the timing and now that Naruto is sprinting toward me, my concerns were just validated.

"It's Aimi! There was an attack on us in the forest and her and Kit sprinted off and she told me to come find you!"

My heart stopped for a moment, a strange feeling of dread and something else building inside me. Something I hadn't felt before. What is it?

"I think she's really in trouble this time Sensei!"

I look down at him, my mind putting pieces together as I look around. The village suffered some minor damage, the culprits caught. That had to be the reason why they attacked, to distract the rest of us so Orochimaru and his followers could take her without additional back up from the Leaf Village. Damn. If they manage to get her under his control, I can only imagine the frightful things to come from it.

"Show me."

I say firmly and Naruto nods, turning without hesitation to sprint away back toward the woods as I follow closely behind him. My feet pounding the earth as my worry builds. I just hope I get there in time.

****

Aimi's POV.

I wake as if it's an emergency, as if sleeping had become a dangerous thing. My heart beating fast and there is a buzzing in my brain as if Kit had been trying to reach out to me and until now, the other end of the line was dead. I let out a shaky breath, my head pounding with a fury I've never experienced before and don't get me started with my body. The only way I could describe it with any accuracy is what I imagine what someone would feel after being sat on by Gamabunta, the giant toad. Ugh.

"Ah, you're finally awake."

That annoying voice immediately brought me out of my daze, my eyelids quickly opening as my blue eyed gaze shifts to Kabuto.

"Yeah... Thanks for the nap. I was pretty tired."

I say sarcastically as I try to move, my wrists well restrained as I struggle against the leather straps.

"Those are reinforced with Chakra, I wouldn't waste your energy."

"Thanks for letting me know."

I snap angrily, my eyes shifting to look at the dimly lit room. My body currently laying on a metal table with wires and leads attached to my chest and head as monitors surround me, the walls lined with shelves filled with medical equipment and other scary looking things. Just how I expected an evil lair to look. So cliche.

"Where's my fox?!"

"I was wondering when you'd ask that, he's next door. I had to separate the two of you, he was getting rather upset seeing you like this."

How the hell did this dork manage to keep Kit restrained? He's a powerful creature, even in his smaller form. Could the jutsu they were doing in the forest really keep him in a state where he was weak enough to control? There's just no way...

"You better not hurt him."

Kabuto laughs at my threat as he moves closer to me, his hand reaching for a metal syringe filled with an ominous looking liquid. One of which I had no interest in discovering.

"You're in no position to be making threats, little fox. My lord has given me full permission to figure out how you tick. What hurts you, what pushes your buttons and what doesn't."