Chapter Eight

River's POV:

It was Monday, after having the date on Saturday and dealing with Darcy on Sunday, I was ready to get back to work, I got up and showered and chose to wear, black dress pants along with a dark blue shirt and white sneakers and kept my hair a little messy and wet and let it dry naturally.

I made my way into the kitchen to see Darcy eating breakfast at the breakfast bar and another plate next to her for me, I sat next to her and dug in.

"Can I come with you to work today, I don't want to be alone?" she asked and I nodded to her, I would never deny her that, not with how she has been recently.

So to explain, Darcy was kidnapped last year, being held in a basement in the pure darkness and not being fed for long hours even days, I was out looking for her, my parents and we hired people as well. Luckily we found her but it was still two weeks without her. She has trauma from that due to having panic attacks and nightmares, so that's why I was called out, she can talk to me about it and feels safer with me there.

"If you're having these moments again, I can get you a bodyguard to stay with you so you can go out and do things, how about my old friend who helped?" I offered but she quickly shook her head.

"I'm fine, I don't need a babysitter, plus you want to hang out with me right?" she asked and tried to make me feel guilty.

"Yes but I do have to work as well" I said and she nodded and got up to place her plate in the sink.

"You won't even know I'm there" she said and I will believe it when I see it.

Caitlyn's POV:

I made my way into work and did the usual and made my way to the top floor and noticed my desk not wear it usually is, I walked to River's door and knocked before entering and seeing a young girl in her chair, I recognise her as River's sister from the time she bought us food. I looked over to the couch to see River and she got up already pointing across the room to where my desk is.

"I've been upgraded?" I asked and River smiled and nodded.

"Means I can keep an eye on you" she started giving me a smirk as I placed my things down as my eyes glanced to his sister who was busy stapling a blank piece of paper, River noticed this, "This is my sister Darcy, she'll be here hanging out" and I introduced myself.

"You won't even know I'm here" she said and carried on stapling.

I sat down as River stood behind me and went through what we needed to do, stealing me little glances and running her hand over mine sending chills through me but eventually she went back to her own desk and made Darcy go to the couch so she can sit down.

To say work was quiet and uneventful would be an understatement, whenever River would talk to me about work or tell me what I needed to do next, Darcy would interrupt with something else but I couldn't say anything because it's her sister but eventually we had lunch and 5pm came before I even knew it. I was packing away my bag but I overheard Darcy and River talking.

"She's coming to pick you up and take you home, I have to run errands" River told Darcy and she stomped her feet and complained.

"Can't I just come with you?" she asked and River shook her head.

"It's just Sasha, you remember her right?" she asked back and I got curious.

"What the hell? I don't like her" Darcy complained but River wasn't having it.

"Just go out the building, you know the car and I'll know if you don't go there because Sasha will follow you, do as I say Darcy please" River pleaded with her and eventually she gave in, she walked to the door but turned around and looked to me.