Melissa Markenson's Day In

Melissa found herself dealing with a pounding headache and a sore body. She had half an eyelash on still and one shoe on her left foot. She was in her bed, her body tangled in her sheets, her skin feeling sticky from whatever and whoever was on her last night. All she could recall was making out with many pairs of nameless lips and getting Iced multiple times.

Something else was wrong too. She felt her forehead and realized that she felt a lot warmer than normal. "Shit, I knew that I should've worn a jacket," thought Melissa. Not only is she dealing with one of the worst hangovers she's had in a while, but she's got a fever too! Melissa wrapped her blanket around her and quickly sent this text out to the class group chat:

"feel lik shit 2day. not comin 2 school"

Before she could read what any of her classmates had to say, she tossed her phone aside and went back to sleep.

The next thing that Melissa could remember happening was someone ringing her doorbell. She groaned and turned over, hoping that the person would eventually go away. By the time the doorbell rang the 14th time, Melissa finally got up. With the blanket still around her, she trudged down the stairs and opened the door to tell the doorbell ringer to fuck off.

That was until Melissa saw that it was Chrissy who was at the door.

"Hey, Melissa! I got your text. You said that you weren't feeling well?"

If Melissa believed in a God, she would curse them right now. On her doorstep was Chrissy Jones, the girl that all the boys in school wanted to have or get the privilege of saying hi to. Melissa and Chrissy used to be best friends. They did everything together and even got matching BFF necklaces. Things were great for the both of them, that is until their 8th-grade graduation when Chrissy told Melissa that her mom didn't want her hanging out with her anymore because she was "a bad influence". Melissa laughed in Chrissy's face and wished her luck being a stuck-up goody two-shoes. However, on the inside, Melissa was devastated.

As they both went through high school, Melissa knew that she was hotter than Chrissy, but that didn't stop her from checking her out now and then. Even Melissa could admit that Chrissy had something about her. How she was warm and sweet, and how her smile could light up a room in an instant.

"Chrissy, what are you doing here?", Melissa said, after what felt like an eternity.

"I bought my mom's homemade chicken soup. It always makes me feel better when I'm sick, so I figured that I would give you some."

Chrissy then showed Melissa the soup in the thermos that she was holding. Melissa had to admit, the soup smelled delightful. But she couldn't let Chrissy give this to her. She can't let Chrissy see her when she's down, not again.

"That's real nice of you, Chrissy. Unfortunately for you, I actually feel much better now, and I don't need whatever weird soup your mom made anymor-"

Melissa then sneezed so hard and loud that it felt like her lungs were trying to tear out of her chest.

"No offense, but no one who 'feels much better' sneezes like that", Chrissy said.

Chrissy brushed past Melissa and heads straight for the kitchen. She still knew her way around here, Melissa thought, even if she hasn't been a guest there in years.

Melissa huffed and shut the door. Everyone knows that once Chrissy has decided to do something, you can't stop her from doing it. She followed Chrissy to the kitchen, coming in as she was bringing down a bowl from the cabinet to put the soup in. Chrissy was wearing her usual preppy affair. She was wearing a dark green argyle sweater, black pants, and slip-on loafers. Her hair cascaded down her shoulders like a copper waterfall. She could've kept on looking at her, but then Melissa started signaling for her to sit down, and she rushed to make sure Melissa was well-prepared and comfortable for her meal. Melissa has never felt more like a guest in her own home.