Chapter 4: Perfection

I was having the time of my life. Laughter, excitement, joy, and freedom. Being out with a friend had been unfamiliar for so long that I yearned for friendship. Now that I have it, I don't want it to end. Maureen and I skated, laughed, ate and sang to every song at Cascade. We enjoyed the Saturday night with not a care in the world and for the first time ever I laughed all night. I laughed at the littlest things, but to me that was priceless. We enjoyed ourselves until it was time to go. I remembered my mother telling me to be in the house by a decent time. But Cascade was closing early in a little while so it wasn't much of a big deal.

Maureen and I walked to the parking lot, with laughter still rolling off of our tongues. We had found the slightest things funny and couldn't maintain our composure. I looked over at her and wondered why she had chosen me? Why did she want to come skating with me? Didn't she have old time friends that she's known since elementary school like normal people? Why was she so interested in becoming my friend? Throughout the night she asked me about my personal life and made me tell her stories about how my life was like before I came to Atlanta. I told her, not thinking much of it.

"Maureen how come you invited me here? Don't you have other friends that you've known longer and can trust to go skating with?" I exhaustedly asked as we headed towards her car.

She looked over at me and smiled, "yeah I have a few friends, but I'm a little low key. But the minute you told me who your parents were in Math the other day I knew you probably didn't have much experience with... teenage stuff. I wanted to get to know you because you seem cool, which you are. Believe it or not but we have a lot in common below the surface."

I smiled at her response and linker arms with her. "I love you already."

We both shared a laugh and before she could respond we heard someone call my name from behind us. We turned around and Aubrey was headed our way while the rest of his crew stood in front of Cascade. The entire night I watched from afar how Courtney and Aubrey interacted. They held hands while skating; he bought her food, and even won her a stuffed animal in the arcade. Needless to say, they were cute. They were the ideal high school couple and throughout the night people complimented them on how cute they looked together. Not to mention that they were wearing his and her outfits.

I smiled as he approached us, but Maureen on the other hand pinched my skin with excitement. She was like one of those friends that you had to tell numerous times to shut up or otherwise they'd blow the cover. In this case she needed to stop inwardly squealing or Aubrey was going to think that we were both weird.

"Hey," I greeted as he approached me. He had on a black t-shirt with blue wording that said 'I'm with her'. But the person that he was with wasn't with him at the moment. The irony.

"Wassup," he nodded towards Maureen and she mustered a low 'hi'. "I didn't even know you were here."

I smiled, "I've been discrete all night."

"Clearly," he chuckled a soft sound, which caused Maureen to clutch onto my arm tighter. "But I came over here because I wanted to let you know that the picture came out great and if you wanted to see it I could send it to you."

"No," I protested. "I want to wait until the entire project is done to see the pictures."

"Alright, that's fine—,"

Aubrey was interrupted by the presence of Courtney, making his shirt true. She had on the same shirt as him except hers was black and pink and hers said 'I'm with him'. They both had on dark washed jeans and vans. Hers were pink and his were blue.

"Hi Royal," Courtney smiled at me, completely ignoring Maureen.

"Hey," I replied giving her a warm smile.