Chapter 118

I used the excuse that I had eaten while riding to avoid taking a plate. This place had no clue what I was and thus didn't stare at me like they were gawking at Daniel. Most were shocked to see a sane zombie sitting calmly at a table munching on some sort of baked pasta.

I took a sip of water as Nina passed a handful of vials to another lady who had joined us. The local nurse nodded her thanks and pocketed them, "Do you mind if I accompany you after supper? I am curious to see these three that you say are infected." The nurse was uneasy around Daniel, but was intrigued by Nina's knowledge.

Nina nodded amiably, "Certainly. As I mentioned before, you can always use cats to double check."

I smirked silently at that memory. Nina turned to Ryan, "On a side note, does there happen to be anyone here by the name John McComfry? We promised his brother Luke that we would ask around."

Ryan shook his head, "Not here. We don't have any Johns or Jonathans."

Supper wrapped up and Ryan began to continue the tour that had been interrupted so rudely. Daniel did well enough tracking the first two. He had problems with the third person though.

I sighed faintly before murmuring, "Turn to your left and keep walking down that side street until I give you further directions."

Daniel sniffed the air and turned as if tracking the last person. I subtly checked the air, "Turn right."

Daniel sniffed before turning. Nina blinked and gave Daniel an odd look. She must have known that Daniel was unable to track someone's scent just on the air for this much distance. He relied on actual scent trails in a place where so many people lived closely together. Such trails also tended to fade rather quickly with so much foot traffic.

Three turns later Daniel was finally close enough to catch the scent on the wind himself. The woman was shocked to say the least, but didn't hesitate in opting for the cure.

The nurse smiled at Nina as her task was finished, "I am glad to have met you. Feel free to stop by the infirmary any time. Hopefully we will meet again one day."

Nina returned the smile, "Thank you. I hope so as well. If you ever pass by Ironwind Stronghold, please stop in and say hello."

"Will do." The nurse parted ways as she went to her own work.

Ryan guided us down the road, "We have a few options for guests. If someone doesn't mind crashing on a couch or on the floor, we have a cabin with two queen-sized beds."

Nina nodded, "Thank you very much. That will work quite well." I smirked as I knew who would be getting the beds.

Sharing a smaller room was more common nowadays simply for safety. If trouble came calling, it was easier for someone to notice it if several people were in the same room. Some who traveled a lot were simply unable to sleep if they were alone and preferred to share a room with complete strangers as opposed to having a room to themselves.

The cabin was on the opposite side of the Stronghold from the other sleeping accommodations. He probably didn't want our group, notably Daniel, near any of the other residents in case another fatality occurred. Perhaps it was a good thing that he didn't know that he was playing host to not just one zombie, but two.

~

I silently climbed over the fence and dropped down on the other side. I carefully looked around, but no one was watching me. Then again, it was so dark out that they would be lucky to see their own feet. A lap around the Stronghold showed that this group favored snares and few predators were present. Few, as in one bear and fox remained.