Chapter 55

"What?" Surely I had not heard correctly or had misunderstood.

Nicky shrugged, but she was even more upset and frustrated than I was at the moment, "They took my key for the side by side. It has been parked beside the guardpost by the north gate and one of the guards will take you if you don't want to walk. Or so I was informed this morning."

My vision took on a redder haze as my anger was kindled. I saw no reason for this recent change and I did not appreciate it. The side by side had been tight enough considering how small Nicky was, anyone larger would be bumping elbows with me the entire trip. I might be able to tolerate that from Nicky or Liz, but no one else would be safe from my temper at that proximity.

A growl rumbled through my chest, "And just why did they decide this?"

She shrugged, "They didn't give me a clear answer." Her expression said that she knew more, but didn't dare repeat them considering there was a group of people washing clothing not far away. Some were talking among themselves, but others had their heads tilted as they subtly eavesdropped on us.

I shook myself briskly while clamping down on my temper, "I'll be walking then. Sticking a stranger right beside me in that close of a space is a good way to get someone injured."

"You might be concerned about that, but this means that I don't get to take a big chunk of the afternoon off. I actually have to work! To make it worse, they won't let me do most of the chores I want to do. I can't help with the horses, they refuse to let me play with wiring on the solar panels or vehicles, and they won't even let me go hunting despite how much better my aim has gotten!"

Once more Nicky's crazy perception of the world caused a tiny thread of amusement to appear amidst the rolling anger. It didn't do much, but the fact that it was there at all was surprising. I snorted, "Nicky, if you are hunting rabbits, you at least have to hit the rabbit. Not the tree behind it."

She huffed indignantly, "I am getting better! I am going to find somewhere where my skills are more appreciated."

She turned and stomped off. I started walking toward the gate knowing that she wasn't actually upset with me. I hid a smirk as Nicky headed straight for our eavesdroppers to grace them with her presence. Those who had been listening held pained expressions as they saw her heading straight for their group. It looks like Nicky also has a very subtle and strange idea of revenge, but it is one that I can appreciate.

The guards didn't comment as they let me walk out. They didn't even offer to drive me, which didn't surprise me. I somehow doubted that any of them wanted to get that close to me. Wanting me to stay in the Stronghold and sitting right beside me when I was clearly annoyed were two very different things.

Once I was out of sight in the forest I started jogging. My mind had been replaying this newest aggravation the entire walk and my mood had worsened as I traveled. I didn't damage any more trees, but the local wildlife had better not cross my path until I got to those rabbit traps.

Had Nicky been here, I knew that I wouldn't be able to predict what would fly out of her mouth. I finally realized that this was how Nicky had been managing to somewhat ease my temper. Her unpredictable comments completely derailed my line of thought even though she kept to the same subject and never attempted to placate me in an obvious way.

Nicky's absence also meant that she couldn't help me doctor my shoulder, not to mention that our discussion of various escape plans were on hold. I would have to get her alone later on and find out what she had overheard.

Two of the traps held rabbits and once I had drained them I hung them on a tree to pick up later. I explored the forest again, taking care to not go past the edge in case it made Daniel suspicious. Other than his trail from yesterday, he didn't seem to enter this small forest. His faint scent from further out showed that he did patrol further out in the fields several times a day.