Chapter 5

The road to the facility was challenging, It was really secluded, and into the depths of the forest. Cassandra had always likes exploring but she was aware of the dangers it came with. And the fact that she was alone wasn't helping.

On the map, the building was blurred. She didn't know why. Maybe google map's problem or something else. The forest's path was clear at least and her bike made it easier to go through.

Finally, after an hour riding, she saw a hill. The hill wasn't very high, just few miles above. What got her attention better was the structure atop it, shrouded partially by the surrounding trees. It appeared to be a large, imposing building, its architecture sleek and modern, contrasting sharply with the natural environment of the forest. The perimeter was surrounded by a tall fence, more than teen feet tall. She could see armed men standing in front of the iron gate.

As she walked deeper into the forest, she held her bike by her hand. She came into an opening in the forest, some military trucks were parked. She couldn't really believe her eyes.

"Damn, is this a military base?" She muttered to herself. She passed the opening and saw that there were stairs made of stone so that she could ascend the hill. She chained her bike to a tree and ascended cautiously. As she approached the fence, she could see that armed men were guarding each section of the perimeter. She swallowed nervously, not understanding why a company would look like a military base.

As she neared, one of the guards raised a hand, signaling for her to stop.

"Sorry miss, this area is restricted. You can't go further," he said firmly. Cassandra's eyebrows furrowed, getting even more skeptical of why the building was so guarded.

"I have to meet Bella Sanchez. It's urgent," she said, her voice persistent.

The guard narrowed his eyes, "Why do you want to meet Ms Sanchez? Do you have an appointment?"

Cassandra pursued her lips, knowing she didn't have an appointment. But how would she even get an appointment? And she wasn't going to tell her personal matters to a guard.

"It's my business. It's personal," she said, "I won't take a lot of time. I just need to ask something."

The guard sighed, clearly not impressed with her response. "Alright, kid. But you have to talk to the receptionist. You're not authorised and it won't be my problem if you get in trouble. Go straight ahead."

The guard motioned for the other one to open the gate and he ran a key card through a slot, causing the gate to slide open with metallic clang. Cassandra thanked the guard and stepped forward, feeling a sense of fear wash over her as the building loomed over her.

The area was clean. The pavement was made of smooth concrete. The grass and the trees on the sides were trimmed strictly. The grass was so clean that she wondered what would happen if someone dared to step on it.

Forward, she saw a parking site, a few black SUVs and trucks parked neatly in rows. Beyond that, the main entrance of the building stood imposingly, its glass facade reflecting the sunlight. Cassandra took a deep breath, feeling her stomach twisting nervously.

There were two guards standing there as well, armed. As she approached, they noticed her, but didn't do anything. Maybe they thought she was authorised to be here. Cassandra walked up to the entrance, and the doors slid automatically open.

Inside was luxurious, just like she thought. The walls were white, with some abstract paintings on. The floor was made of marble and the receptionist's desk was just in front of her.

A young woman was sitting there, laughing and talking on the phone, just like these who lack their job but still get to go with it.

Cassandra cleared her throat and spoke, "Hello, is Bella Sanchez free? I have to meet her."