Proposal

I opened my eyes, my whole body feeling sore. I looked at the ceiling, realizing I was in the royal hospital chambers. Turning to my side, I saw my cousin Ashanti next to me.

"Twyla!" Ashanti rushed to my side. "Oh, you're awake. Thank the heavens—Your Majesty—" Ashanti rushed outside, calling for my mother and father. "She's awake! Twyla is awake!""Keep it down, please, Your Highness," the royal doctor hurried to my side. I saw my mother and father rush to my side, tears streaming down my mother's face.

"Twyla... oh, Twyla, we thought you were—" My mother held my hands and kissed them. "Are you okay? How do you feel?"

I kept my silence for a moment, trying to register what was happening and why I was here."Where ... where is Sheba?" I asked, curious about my pet lioness.

"She's okay, she rushed back when the incident happened, we found you unconscious," my mother nodded.

"It's been three weeks, Twyla!" Ashanti exclaimed, her worry evident.

Three weeks? My mind raced, trying to recall what had occurred. The memories came flooding back—the beast, the chase, and then darkness.

"What happened to me?" I finally managed to ask, my voice hoarse."You were attacked, my dear," the royal doctor explained. "A wild animal, we believe. You sustained injuries, but you're fortunate to be alive."

Alive... but for what purpose? My thoughts drifted to the events before the attack—Kofi's proposal. The weight of his words and the implications weighed heavily on me.

"Father, Mother... I cannot marry Kofi," I blurted out, surprising even myself.My father's brows furrowed in confusion. "But why, Twyla? He is a fine young man, and from our tribe. He would make a strong and capable ruler."

"I... I cannot," I stuttered, unsure of how to explain my feelings. "I do not love him. I cannot marry someone I do not love."

"Twyla," Ashanti interjected, her tone pleading. "Think of the kingdom, think of our people. We need a prince, we need a ruler. Kofi is the best choice."

"I understand the responsibilities, Ashanti," I replied, my tone firm. "But I cannot sacrifice my happiness for the sake of duty. I need... I need to be free to choose my path."Silence hung heavy in the room, the weight of my words sinking in. My father's expression softened, understanding dawning in his eyes.

"We will discuss this further, Twyla," he said, his voicee gentle. "For now, focus on your recovery. We are just thankful to have you back with us."

As my family left the room, leaving me to rest, I couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom. The kingdom needed a ruler, and I was the only one who could fulfill that role. But at what cost? My heart ached with uncertainty, torn between duty and desire.

 And as I drifted off to sleep, the weight of my decision heavy on my mind, I wondered if I would ever find a way to reconcile the two. 

---I awoke to the sound of the door creaking open, revealing Kofi standing in the doorway. His handsome face bore a concerned expression, his eyes filled with a mixture of relief and regret.

"Twyla, I'm glad to see you awake," he said, his voice soft. "I heard what happened. I wanted to make sure you were all right."

"I'm fine, thank you," I replied curtly, sitting up in bed. "Is there something you need, Kofi?"He hesitated for a moment, his gaze flickering away before returning to meet mine. "I... I wanted to talk to you about us, about our future."

"Our future?" I raised an eyebrow, feeling a sense of unease settle in the pit of my stomach.

"Yes, about our marriage," he continued, stepping closer to the bed. "I know you said you cannot marry me, and I understand. I respect your feelings, Twyla. But I want you to know that I am willing to wait for you. I will give you all the time you need to come to terms with your decision."I studied his face, searching for any hint of deception. But all I saw was sincerity—or was it just a facade?

"Thank you, Kofi," I said, forcing a smile. "I appreciate your understanding."

He nodded, his expression unreadable. "I should let you rest. But before I go, there is something else I wanted to discuss. Something important."

"What is it?" I asked, wary of his sudden shift in demeanor.

"I have been in talks with the British authorities," he began, his tone cautious. "They have expressed interest in forming a trade alliance with our kingdom. It could bring great prosperity to our people, Twyla."

"That sounds promising," I replied, intrigued despite myself. "But what does this have to do with me?"

"Well, you see," Kofi hesitated, his eyes avoiding mine. "The British have requested something in return for this alliance. They have asked for... prisoners of war."

My heart skipped a beat, a cold chill running down my spine. "Prisoners of war? What do they want with them?"

"They believe they can reform them, integrate them into their society," Kofi explained, his voice tinged with uncertainty. "It is a... controversial proposal, I know. But it could benefit both our kingdoms."

I felt a sense of dread settle over me, realizing the implications of Kofi's words. The British were notorious for their treatment of prisoners, often using them as laborers or worse.

"I cannot condone such actions, Kofi," I said, my voice firm. "I cannot allow our people to be sold into slavery, even if it is for the greater good."

Kofi's expression hardened, his eyes narrowing slightly. "I understand, Twyla. I will convey your concerns to the British authorities. But I urge you to consider the consequences of rejecting this alliance. Our kingdom is in need of resources, of stability. This alliance could provide that.""I will not sacrifice our principles for the sake of prosperity, Kofi," I replied, my voice unwavering. "I will not allow our people to suffer for the sake of greed."

Kofi's mask of understanding slipped, replaced by a look of frustration. "Very well, Twyla. I will do as you ask. But know this, the British are not known for their patience. If we do not agree to their terms, they may seek alliances elsewhere. And who knows what they will offer in return."

With that, Kofi turned and left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. The weight of his words hung heavy in the air, a foreboding sense of impending doom settling over me. I knew that my refusal to cooperate would have consequences, but I could not betray my principles, not even for the sake of my kingdom.