Chapter Two

"The woods? That's like, 3 miles away!" complained Annie.

"That's why God gave you legs. Now let's go," I said.

"Whatever." I seriously think that the word, whatever, is her favorite word. She uses it a lot.

When we finally got to "Johnson's Forest", (at least that's what our town, Littleville, calls it.) Annie and I set up camp. We didn't have to do much, because I have run away before and apparently, the tent that I set up last time was still there. It was a little tattered from harsh weather, but it was still good enough for the night.

Since we already had dinner at my old house, I told Annie to go straight to bed. After she settled down, I decided to make a fire. The fire brought comfort, warmth, and light that made it feel like home. -No. This is home. I don't have a mom or a dad. Just me and Annie.- I thought to myself.

Almost instantly, I fell asleep under the long branches of a tall pine tree.

*****

The following morning, I decided to make breakfast. Annie was still asleep in the tent, and I had just woken up from sleeping on the ground. My long, blondish/brownish hair had a ton of pine needles in it, and I had to brush them out.

I got the fire going again and took out a package of breakfast sausages. I took four sausages, and placed two on a stick I found and the other two on another stick.

"Waykey Waykey!" I said as I shook Annie awake.

"Huh? What time is it?" asked Annie sleepily.

"8:30. Now come help me make breakfast," I said said as I held the two sticks full of sausages over the fire. Annie finally got up and took out two glasses and a small carton of orange juice.

"So, what are going to do today?" she asked as she poured O.J. into the glasses.

"Today, we will begin training," I said as I pulled off two sausages from one stick and handed them to Annie.

"Thanks. Training? For what?" she asked.

"Training for survival. How to hunt game," I said.

"And I suppose you have weapons for that?" Annie asked irritably. Listen to her. Questioning my greatness.

"No duh. The last time I ran away, I decided that if I was to live in the forest, I would need weapons to protect myself. So, I took a large steak knife from the house and used it to carve three daggers," I said proudly. We sat in silence for the rest of the meal while we finished our sausages and juice. Finally, I said to her, "Also, I took some of mom's old cloth that she uses for sewing, and I wrapped the handles in it."

"Awesome! So, when do we begin?" she asked. For the first time, I saw ambition in her eyes to do something great. I guess she likes violence? I don't know. But I guess I'll have to find out.