Kabanata 3

After Mr. Gonzales left, everyone remained silent in their seats, waiting for the next teacher to arrive, pretending that they had behaved very well. However, ten minutes had passed, and yet our Filipino teacher still had not arrived. This prompted my classmates to stand up and go to their friends to chit-chat.

David, who had brought his electric guitar, started playing some music, and some people sang along with him. When I looked back, I saw Seth leaning on his desk. I then stood up and joined David in playing. I had known how to play the guitar since elementary school, and as expected, David let me borrow his guitar. I played my favorite song, which is "You're Still The One," and sang it while playing the guitar. "...Looks like we made it. Look how far we've come, my baby." And with that, I got everyone's attention, at least, most of them. I looked at Seth, who was still leaning on his table, paying no attention to the music I was playing.

I continued playing and singing, pouring my heart into every note. "They said, 'I bet they'll never make it.' But just look at us, holding on. We're still together, still going strong."Then, out of the blue, a passionate voice broke through the melody, "AKIN KA NALANG, NASH! MAHAL KITA WOOO!" I couldn't help but grin at the heartfelt comment, and I continued, my voice filled with emotion. "You're still the one I run to. The one that I belong to. You're still the one I want for life."

I stole another glance in Seth's direction, and our eyes locked in a moment of unspoken connection. I was about to continue, ready to let the music express what words couldn't, when suddenly the teacher from the next classroom burst in and asked us to stop playing. Our brief, musical connection was interrupted, but the memory of that shared gaze lingered, making the moment even more poignant.

The teacher's stern voice reverberated through the room, "I apologize for the interruption, but we're currently engrossed in a discussion. If you'd like to continue playing, please step outside and perform in the faculty area with the teachers as your audience." I nodded, recognizing the validity of her point because our exuberance had undoubtedly disrupted the room next door. "Pasensya na po, hindi na po mauulit," I replied with a tinge of regret, while watching her leave the room.

"Uy! Lunch na. Hindi na raw makaka-attend si Ma'am." Anzyne, our class monitor, shouted. Without hesitation, everyone packed up their things and was ready to leave. "Let's pray first," the class president said, prompting everyone to stand up and pray before heading out. 

"So... ano, tara?" I asked Seth, who was patiently waiting for me beside our classroom door. "Tara?" he replied while glancing at his watch. "Maaga pa pala, samahan mo muna ako papunta sa SPS area." He then walked away without waiting for my reply.