The New Moon Pt. 10

***hi folks, just wanted to preface this part by saying that i know that this is really fast-paced (you'll see as you read) and i apologize. i may come back to give this more detail, but i wanted to try to keep this story on a more regular updating schedule. hopefully the ideas still get across the way it is in my head and you enjoy reading. xoxoxo, christine***

---

The rest of Toph and Su's visit was fairly uneventful. They spent a couple days in the city and one on the Island, doting on Neoma and catching up with everyone. Many more stuffed animals, toys, and baby clothes that Su had bought littered Kya and Lin's home by the time the Beifong women left. Su had made Lin promise to send pictures often and to call more frequently with updates.

Lin returned to work four days a week and Kya the other three; and though it had initially been hard for them to get used to this new arrangement, by the third week the trio had comfortably settled into a routine. 

Each day, Neoma was taken for a walk in her stroller, had tummy time where she learned to push herself up, and her favorite toy recently had been a colorful rattle that she had learned to shake. In recent days, the case and search for relatives had officially been closed, opening up the opportunity for Neoma to be adopted. The family had also been able to file an adoption petition, working to secure a court date; and since the girl was fostered by the couple for a month already, a judge would likely rule in their favor.

---

"Excuse me, I was told someone here would be able to help me." A woman stepped up to a nurse's station at the hospital. "My sister recently had a baby, a girl, and she's not in a place to take care of her so she said that she surrendered her in the city, I assume it was here at the hospital? It would've been about four or five weeks ago.

"I was hoping that I might be able to see her, the baby I mean. Would you be able to find out where she was taken, an orphanage perhaps?"

---

"Beifong residence, this is Kya."

"Good afternoon, Master Kya. You're still fostering a baby girl, correct? Surrendered about five weeks ago?... Well, I looked through our records and spoke to the police and she is the only baby girl that was surrendered in the city in that timeframe. I have someone here..." The man on the phone continued to speak, but Kya could barely listen, in a daze after he had finally stated why he called.

Kya quickly agreed to come to the hospital, unsure of what else to do. She stood in the kitchen for a moment, absolutely floored by the information before calling the police station. She spoke to Saikhan and filled him in on the situation. He sent Mako to pick her and Neoma up to take them to the hospital and radioed for the Chief to return to the station. The Captain said he would try to prepare Lin before sending her their way. 

---

The urgent thundering of metal against tiled floors warned Kya that her wife was coming down the hospital hallway. 

"Where is-" 

Kya glanced at her wife from where she leaned against the wall, then back through the window of the room across from her, nodding towards it. Lin's question and thoughts were interrupted by looking into the room herself. Inside, Mako spoke to a woman as she held Neoma.

"Why is she-" The Chief started, her tone a mix of anger and worry, until Kya, who was on edge herself, cut her off.

"Lin, her story's legitimate. Mako basically interrogated her before I even let her see Neoma. I trust him and he says that that woman, Jian, is her aunt."

Lin stood shellshocked as she watched.