22

Ithaca, New York / Volterra, Italy

Alice jerked into a more upright seated position as a strange vision clouded her sight.

Elizabeth stood partially dressed, blood caked both her arms almost up to her elbows and her mouth was smeared the same shade of claret. Caius Volturi stood in front of her, his eyes black as night. Greedy.

"Alice?!" Edward has appeared in record speed, startling Jake and Ness who had missed Alice's slight change in posture as they cuddled in the chair on the opposite side of the room.

"That's the first thing I've seen from her in over a week..." Alice gasps, re-running the confusing and worrying vision through her mind.

"What has he done to her? Look for more, Alice, now!" Edward near shouts at her, his whole-body rigid with anger and worry.

"I'm trying," Alice says, her eyes closed in concentration.

"What's happened? Is it Lizzie? Is she okay?" Ness untangles herself from Jake and moves over to Alice and her dad.

"Alice? Anything?" Edward presses.

"She's annoyingly good at evading me Edward," Alice grits through her teeth. "If it weren't for your gift, she never would've been able to learn how I saw my visions so well."

"So now it's my fault you can't see her properly?" Edward demands.

"If you hadn't been so cruel, I wouldn't have to spy on her!" Alice rebutted angrily, throwing her arms in the air. "This is useless, I can't see any more...come on Lizzie let me see something."

"What's happened? Is Lizzie alright?" Ness asks again.

"Not now Renesmee," Edward dismisses. "Look Alice, just concentrate."

"What do you think I'm trying to do Edward, you ass!"

"Alice, hun? Everythin' alrigh' darlin'?" Jasper appeared at Ness's shoulder, he placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and Ness instantly relaxed.

"I can't see her anymore!" Alice says frustratedly.

Jasper positioned himself between his wife and Edward, a wave of calm sweeping through the room. "Alice, take a break. Edward, apologise to Ness and sit down, both of you are getting quite irritated."

"Irritating..." Jacob mutters and Ness elbows him in the side.

"Why don't I just ring her?" Ness suggests. "She rang grandad last week to tell him she'd started training with the guard and that she was learning languages with Marcus...?"

"No," Edward shakes his head. "You will not speak to her."

"Dad it's Lizzie..."

"I said no Renesmee."
"It's not like she's suddenly public enemy number one!"

"Renesemee, I said no." Edward silences his daughter with a firm stare. He hadn't sat down like Jasper had suggested.

Carlisle appeared in the doorway; his frown concerned as he took in the bickering. "Edward that is enough, why don't you take a walk? I'll catch up with you in a few minutes."

Edward looked like he wanted to argue in response but after a few long seconds turned and walked out the back door into the garden.

"I'm sorry Ness, I didn't mean for that to get so...heated. It's just very frustrating. Even more so than everything being clouded by the wolves." Alice shakes her head slightly as if trying to shift the fog from her visions.

"Don't suppose you've heard from Liz recently grandad?" Ness asks, allowing Jake to pull her into his side for a comforting hug.

"Not since last..." Carlisle reached into the pocket of his trouser and pulled out his phone. "Perhaps she's managed to figure out how to use your visions Alice, rather than just evade them?" Carlisle smiles softly. "Good morning, Elizabeth darling, it's lovely to hear from y-"