VI. PARTY GAMES

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED

an outer banks story

by -spacecadet

CHAPTER SIX: PARTY GAMES

Campbell loved walking through the Cut at night. She knew it wasn't, by any means, the desirable part of the island, but it was her home, and it was beautiful. Cicadas buzzed in the tall, marshy grass, humming alongside the other insects, birds, and animals that called the Outer Banks home. Spanish moss hung from every tree crevasse it could latch onto, moonlight shining through it.

Campbell had been obsessed with the Spanish moss when she first moved from Nashville, unable to take her eyes off the trees every time she drove down the road for weeks upon her arrival. The novelty had somewhat worn off, she supposed, but she still adored it.

The homes in the Cut had more character, not the cookie-cutter creations of the subdivisions or the eyesore monstrosities that were the new kook developments. They were in significantly worse states of despair, of course, but to Campbell, it was all familiar and comforting.

She'd changed back into the orange sundress, and JJ into his t-shirt and shorts, and they were walking down the road to Finn's house, which was actually pretty close to the Sheridans. They were passing a can of beer back and forth, one that she'd taken from her grandfather's stash in the garage, and she appreciated the alcohol, because she was starting to feel nervous.