17: Concrete Promises

The next morning, like the previous morning, Alina comes into the room. I'm already up, although. I've taken a shower and washed my hair. Romeo's being the lazy one this morning. "This," she says and hands me a ring. "Is for you. And this," she says again. "Is for you." She tosses Romeo a ring. He doesn't budge from the bed. "Romeo!"

"Mama," he groans. He flips to his stomach and hides under the pillow.

"You really chose him?" She scoffs and curses at her son.

"Alina, baby, I need to talk to you." Elijah comes strolling in the room.

"What the hell, Dad! This is my room!" Romeo lashes out.

"And I bought this house. If you'd like to debate that, be my guest. Good morning, Elizabeth," he says and kisses my cheek.

"Good morning," I say. I just stare at Romeo.

"Get your man out of bed! Guests are arriving in two hours!" Alina shouts. She shakes her head as Elijah guides her out of the room.

Romeo gets out of bed to take a shower. The door to the bathroom is open, so as I'm searching through my suitcase, I call out to Romeo. "What do I wear?" I ask him. "I've never been to this, let alone a Fiesta. What is expected?" I ask him.

"Wear whatever," he grumbles.

"Romeo," I scoff.

"I mean," he clears his throat. "A long sundress or whatever the hell you call that. It's like a brunch," he explains. I hear the shower water turn off. He walks out of the bathroom. "Wear this." He pulls out a navy dress.

"What are you wearing?" I ask him.

"Whatever I wear will complement what you wear," is all he says before falling back into bed.

...

In two hours, there is laughter downstairs, so we join everyone downstairs. Of course, the majority of guests are men, but there are some women who talk with each other. "Oh! Elizabeth! Let me introduce you to some women so you're not bored by this boy," she says as she slaps Romeo's chest.

"You're lucky you're my mami," is all he says before kissing me to part me.

She leads me to three women who are talking together. "Ladies. This is Elizabeth. Elizabeth, there's Liviana, Allison, and Madeline. Allison is Carlo's fiancé and Liviana is actually Santino's girlfriend. Where is Santino, by the way?" Alina leaves. The girls giggle.

"Alina's a sweetheart," says Allison. "Your name is Elizabeth?" She asks again. I nod. "Here. Have a drink. Let's make friends outside," she suggests.

...

For what feels like hours, the four of us talk. I'm glad to have friends that are girls...finally. "So, news," Liviana starts. She sets her drink down. "Mocktail," she says.

"What?" They ask. "You're a big drinker," they say.

"Not anymore. I'm pregnant!" She says. I smile big for her.

"Congrats," I say.

"Thanks," she whispers. "I told Santino last night. After the banquet is over, he and I are going to get married and settle down in New York."