Ch - 2: A Test of Arms

Louise woke up to a new morning bright and refreshed, her mood absolutely brimming with energy. She's currently walking down the path leading to the academy's cafeteria, her every step a skip that was filled with confidence. So jubilant was her mood that it even infected others who walked down the same path as her. The new faces of the first-years starting the new semester looked at her with amused stares, feeling a sense of joyful mirth as their senior skipped beside them. Her own seniors, however, looked at her with quirked eyebrows, confused at her energetic self but, after hearing the recent rumors of the mill, nonetheless silently congratulated her when she passed by for finally succeeding in proving her magic-potential. While delighted to see their reactions, Louise found that it was the ones coming from her own peers that she enjoyed the most.

Her classmates, her fellow second-years she shared many a class with, turned silent whenever she neared one of them; any discussion they had turning into quiet murmurs when she walked pass. She took great enjoyment from their subdued state, a far cry from their usually boastful selves that once unceasingly mocked her. She didn't even deign to hide it, deeming the joy on her face at their discomfort a recompense for what they'd done to her, and allowing her peers to see how much enjoy she took from their muted suffering.

Louise giggled as she felt glares and heard feint insulting remarks behind her when she passed. She laughed even louder as the glares and insults suddenly turn silent when the object of her confidence and their fear stomped loudly behind her.

The Gear Giant lumbered behind her, having been commanded prior to accompany her, its cogs and bolts cranked and jingled with every step. It made for an imposing sight, the thrumming of power beneaths its armored frame felt even by the non-magically sensitive, a power moving the several tons of steel that stomped with enough force to shake the cobblestone path. Fortunately the path had been secured and built tightly in the case of a large entity ever walking on it, which, with the diverse familiars in the academy, was more than once a day. Though that didn't mean the shaking path hadn't spooked a few students along the way, her peers being the ones very vocal about this, sending some snide remarks before quelling when her familiar turned to look at them with its singular, burning eye.

She couldn't care less of what they think now, not since yesterday, whatever comments they make now null after what she had accomplished. Their insults and demeaning words void, empty and bearing no more weight to push her around anymore. No longer the Zero they mock her to be.

She had successfully casted magic. True, legitimate magic. And that was enough to change her fate, no thanks to the godlike being she'd somehow managed to call and was coincidentally bored enough at the moment to give her godly power on a whim.

Though it wasn't without itself cost, Louise carefree smile turned into a frown, now I have to do some mission appointed by the being.

With a thought, Louise saw the mission in question appear in her mind like a scroll unraveling itself.

Notice! Quest Received!
Quest: Greenskin Annihilation
Objective: Eliminate an Orc Warband and its warchief
Requirements: (0/100) Greenskins(Orcs, Goblins, Trolls) killed, (0/1) Orc Warchief(Leader/Officer) killed
Rewards: 100 Supply Points, Item[Frontline Base Start Up Kit]
Bonus Objective: Destroy an orc settlement or village
Requirements: (0/1) Orc settlement destroyed, (0/1) Orc Banner destroyed
Bonus Rewards: Facility[Mech Workshop]
Duration: 35 Days
Status: Uncompleted

Louise's joyful steps went into a lull as she focused on the "mission" given to her.

An extermination, is what she'd describe it as, just by its name. It demanded of her to head out into the roads and find herself an orc warband for her to destroy. While she'd rather not do it, she has already accepted the mission after the ROB, the one that gave her her mission, helped her solve her familiar problem, and she's gotta repay that kindness. Of course, the rewards she'd earn if she completed it were, as she believed, worthwhile.