►9

• • •

• • •

"Why didn't you tell me she sold the baby?" I asked Ruby as soon as we walked back into the Granny's diner. 

"Because I didn't think it was important." Ruby replied with indifference and I stared at her in slight disbelief.

"Why would you think that? Didn't I tell you that any small detail would have been appreciable?" I sighed and turned around, not wanting to see her face. I was disappointed. "And we're just trying to help her. You should have told us."

"I know but look, Ashley is my friend. I don't like the idea of people judging her." Ruby said in her defense and I side eyed her, "No one's judging her. And no one is going to. Like I said, we are only trying to help her. Now, tell us where she is right now." I narrowed my eyes at her and she frowned, looking back and forth between me and Emma.

Emma noticed the wolf figurine that was in Ruby's car sitting on the bar and picked it up. "Hey, Ruby. Where's your car?" Emma asked curiously with a hint of suspicion lacing her tone while observing the figurine. I cursed under my breath and glared at Ruby. Suddenly everything was making sense.

"You sent us to that dumbass and his dick father to give that blonde a fucking head start, yeah? Smart, Ruby. Real smart. And stupid." I hissed angrily, not bothering to remember anyone's names. 'Why couldn't she understand that we're just trying to help? Is everyone in this town this insufferable?'

"Look, I'm only trying to help her." Ruby defended herself again and I just scoffed. "Yeah sure, so are we. You don't understand, do you? That girl's about to give birth anytime now and her deal with Gold is not going to do her any good. Her running away in that state would only increase the possibility of danger surrounding her body and her baby since both of them are sensitive right now." I ran my fingers through my hair and grabbed Henry.

"I'm gonna go sit in my car. Talk to her." I told Emma and walked out of the diner with Henry. Emma stared at my fading back with worried gaze while Ruby stared at me in guilt and fear. Then, Emma turned to Ruby and started talking, "Ashley's in more trouble than you know, Ruby. Where is she? Don't make her deal with Gold without us."

"Why did you take me? I wanted to know Ashley's location too!" Henry chimed as soon as we left the diner. I rolled my eyes and walked towards my car.

"And you will. It's just...I know Ruby won't talk about the blonde in front of you. So, this had to happen. Sorry kid." I replied half-heartedly as I opened the door to the passenger seat and motioned him to get in.

"But why?" Henry asked as he got in the car. I walked around and climbed in the driver's seat, closing the door with a heavy sigh. I rummaged around for something to eat, I would get hungry often so I had a habit of storing foods in the car.

"Is that even a question, kid?" I deadpanned at him and handed him a bottle of chocolate juice and a packet of coconut cookies.

"It's because my mom's a mayor." He stated in a sad voice but soon perked up, "You keep these in your car? I was starting to get real hungry! Thanks, Becca!" Henry said in a loud voice and started to eat.