Collecting Peter

"What do you guys want?! I didn't do anything! Been here all day..." the young man zipped between each side of a table tennis table and played it by himself before suddenly appearing on the sofa behind you.

"Relax, Peter, we're not cops,"

"Cops? Of course you're not cops, if you were cops you wouldn't be driving a rental car..." he spoke way too fast for you to keep up.

"How do you know we've got a rental-?"

"I checked your registration while you were walking through the door... I also has some time to kill and I saw you're from out of town..." his lips moved as fast as his legs. "Are you FBI?" He quickly appeared behind You holding Charles' wallet. "Nope! You're not cops! Hey, what's with the sketchy place??" He asked before dropping the wallet and one of Charles' cards for the school.

"That's an... old card..." he hesitated before picking it up and placing it back into his pocket.

"He's fascinating!" Hank said with an amused grin

"He's a pain in the arse!" Charles snapped in return

"What is he? A teleporter?"

"No he's just fast... and when I knew him, he wasn't so... young," Logan sighed.

"Young? You're just old..." you all turned suddenly in unison to see Peter laying down on his sofa with a nearly finished ice lolly.

"So you're not afraid to show off your powers?" Logan asked.

"Powers? What powers? What are you talking about?" You all shared confused expressions. "What you see something strange here...? Nothing anyone would believe if you told them..." everyone seemed to get it now. You didn't.

You stepped back. Your head was spinning. Peter was way to fast for you to keep up with.

"I gotta step outside," you said.

"You alright?" Logan asked, clearly concerned.

"Yeah, I'll be by the car," as you walked out, you saw Hank whisper something to Charles who seemed to shrug it off.

You stepped outside and took deep breaths. Each breath releasing some pressure from your head. Not all of it though. Masking meant that you always had a bit of pressure that would only be released by stimming. But you just couldn't muster the courage to do so.

You kept this up for a couple minutes before everyone came out of the house, including Peter.

"Shotgun!" Peter yelled before appearing in the front passenger seat.

"I'm driving after that display you showed!" Logan complained to Charles who just rolled his eyes in response. You all got in the car together. You were sat behind Logan with Charles next to you and Hank next to him.

It was a long drive and the tiredness of masking made your eyes heavy. You blinked rapidly for a moment, trying to stay awake. It wasn't even midday.

"You can sleep, you know?" You suddenly heard whispered in your ear. Since when did Charles care. He practically ignored your existence since he lost his legs. You listened regardless. A slight twang of comfort hitting your stomach that you hadn't felt for a long time. Slowly closing your eyes and allowing yourself to drift off.

"Wake up, y/n..." he whispered what felt like minutes later.

"We're here?" Charles nodded.

"Well, we're nearby... we're staying in a hotel for the night, then we're joining on with a tour tomorrow morning to blend in... we go from there," you nodded. Surprised that he was actually taking the time to explain this to you. You got flashbacks of the day in Cuba. Being told exactly where to go and when. The pain of when it went wrong.

You and Charles were sharing a room for the night. Two twin beds side by side. You immediately threw yourself onto the one nearest the window and rolled onto your back before letting out a loud exhale. You lay for a moment before sitting up. You saw Charles pouring himself a drink.

Safe to say a bit of disappointment hit you. He turned and caught you looking.

"What?" You glanced down quickly.

"Nothing..." you mumbled. Afraid he would become angry, you held your tongue. He exhaled heavily.

"I just don't think breaking Erik out is a good idea!" You glanced back up at him. He seemed shaky. He slumped into the other bed and stared at the floor.

"He was good to us before..."

"Just so he could kill Shaw!"

"He was good to me!!" You slapped your hand over you mouth. Realising what you had just said. Charles' head snapped in your direction.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"N-nothing... it's nothing don't worry..." you blurted. Desperate for the confrontation to end.

"No! Tell me!" In the exhaustion your mask slipped and you flinched and covered your ears. You threw your hands down once you realised what you had done.

What you had done...

"He let me stim..." You whispered.

"What?"

"He let me stim... Erik..."

"Who said I didn't??"

"You were the one who needed help! You were the one who needed to adjust! I wanted to help you!" You blurted. You'd been burnt out for so long! It had to come out some way or other.

"So it's my fault?"

"No!" You snapped back. His goddamn ego got in the way of your relationship. The ongoing dread of not being able to repair your relationship haunted you.

Charles used to be your world. Now he was just... there.

You didn't feel like siblings anymore...

Maybe you weren't.

"I'm going to sleep..." you stated defiantly before you changed your clothes in the bathroom then went to bed.

Tomorrow brought Erik...